Does anyone else burp a lot during swimming?

Former Member
Former Member
I keep thinking about asking this, but always forget. Since getting back in the pool when I can due to my work, surgeries, and just life...a couple years ago I noticed I burp a lot during my minute of rest and sometimes during a lap. Does this happen to anyone else? btw - I was finally able to get back up to 1800 yards during my lap swim a couple weeks ago 😄🏊*♀️
  • Yes, I burp a ton! But I think it is mostly a combination of practicing early in the morning and my ulcerative colitis.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    Yes, I burp a ton! But I think it is mostly a combination of practicing early in the morning and my ulcerative colitis. Hmm...it can’t be that for me. I swim about 12:30-3pm ish only because it’s the warmest part of our day here in So Cal...😱🥶😱🥶
  • First, I have to say I have no idea what to do about it, but read this: www.livestrong.com/.../ Consult an experienced swim coach or doctor. The basic problem is that your esophagus (gullet) is opening to the air flow as you breath in. This doesn't happen to most of us. Some of the air you suck in is bypassing the channel to the lungs and heading down to the stomach. After many breaths it needs to come back up.
  • Former Member
    First, I have to say I have no idea what to do about it, but read this: www.livestrong.com/.../ Consult an experienced swim coach or doctor. The basic problem is that your esophagus (gullet) is opening to the air flow as you breath in. This doesn't happen to most of us. Some of the air you suck in is bypassing the channel to the lungs and heading down to the stomach. After many breaths it needs to come back up. Thats what I was thinking...however, for the past 8 days I haven’t been able to put my head under water. On the brink of an ear infection...so all my swimming has been with a kickboard. And I’m still burping? It’s the weirdest thing!
  • I drink about 10 Oz of protein shake mix and water on my way to the pool. I bet that's it. Whey causes stomach issues wiht a lot of people, but it is usually gas, rather than burping. That said......is there a reason you are drinking it before, rather than after, your workout? They are often referred to as "recovery" drinks, as your muscles need protein to help recover after a workout. Personally, I each greek yogurt with granola about 30 minutes before I swim.
  • Ok - that’s a possibility. I will eat breakfast about 10:30. Swim about 12:30. But I drink about 10 Oz of protein shake mix and water on my way to the pool. So maybe 20 minutes before I’m in the water depending on how long I wait for a lane. Yep, that's probably it. I'd try drinking it afterward and see if that makes a difference.
  • Former Member
    Burping could also be caused by what you are eating or drinking before you swim. Ok - that’s a possibility. I will eat breakfast about 10:30. Swim about 12:30. But I drink about 10 Oz of protein shake mix and water on my way to the pool. So maybe 20 minutes before I’m in the water depending on how long I wait for a lane.
  • Ha! yes, I burp all the time, probably to the chagrin of my lane mates. No sense in holding it back. I just suck a lot of air in, especially on hard sets where I end up breathing every 2 strokes.
  • Burping could also be caused by what you are eating or drinking before you swim.
  • Burping could also be caused by what you are eating or drinking before you swim. I agree with this as a cause.