my progress in age group 35-39. What do you think?

Former Member
Former Member
Here are all my best times (LCM) through the years of my age group 35-39. 11697 I am swimming usually 12-15km a week. In the peak, I am swimming to 20km but I am struggling to keep this longer than 3 weeks straight. What do you think about my progress so far guys, any suggestions? Should I start swimming more meters to keep it up in the next age group?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Thank you for your answer. I swam my best times in my early 20s I usually swim 4 times a week and I am lifting 2 times a week and doing additional 3 to 4 times a week some core/stability stuff in the gym.
  • Do you enjoy your workouts? Do you look forward to them? Would you enjoy them as much if they were longer, or would you get burned out or worn down? Masters Swimming is a sport for life, enjoy the trip.
  • Further thoughts. Are you satisfied with your swims? What are the things that can use work? How often do you get videotaped?. The amount of work you are doing seems plenty to me, but that is a totally subjective statement. Some guys a lot slower than you are going more yardage. What can you do a little better on each start, stroke or turn? After almost every event at every meet, I go over the race in my head and try to see how I could do better and therefore what to change in my workouts. If you think "I'd go faster if I was in better shape", then maybe more yardage is the answer, but unless you are going out too slow because you are afraid you can't hold the pace, or your final 25s are disproportionately slow, I doubt it.
  • Progress seems reasonable to me, assuming those best times are from when you were in teens or 20s. How many days a week are you swimming to get to that 12-15km or 20km stretch? Are you doing anything else for supplementary strength or anything? Considering you skew toward the shorter end of the events spectrum (I wouldn't say "sprinter" quite but you're not a long-distance guy), I would say that more distance isn't the answer for improvement. I would suggest optimizing your workouts to cut out extraneous "garbage yardage" and focus on more race pace-type work. And I would evaluate your strength and flexibility and make sure these are maintaining - after mid-20s or so, those are the things that tend to be easier to let slide.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Hi Allen. Thank you for your thoughts so far..The most thing I enjoy if I am going to workout is freedom. For me is sport and swimming the best thing I can do to relax from work and keep my life in a balanced way. I usually start to burn out after 4km in a day workout..I guess its a mental thing and don't know why I can't handle it. The first time I got near to 4.5km to almost 5km a day was this summer, where I trained very hard for the Euros (my last big meet this year). I swam there 200m back and 200m medley and I am little disappointed with my times there. I made about 93km in 4 weeks and could physically stand almost 25km a week. That was very good for me. I felt, I had more endurance and was overall in a better shape with more meters/week. But in the meet I couldn't show it..Don't know exactly why. In 200m medley race at the Euros for example my split was: 29.0/36.3/43.9/34.4. My first half was way better than my second half..And that is in all my 200m medley races so far. I try to get better in *** but struggling and can't go under 0:43 split. Also my backstroke and freestyle split is a little bit slow I guess. As a backstroke, who I am, I should split under 0:35. I am looking to improve there but can't at the moment. Don't know what to do. I am going to look one time/year, how I swim in a video. The last time was in a competition, my technique got a little bit worse.