When to think about joining Masters Swimming

Former Member
Former Member
Hi! I'm new to swimming as far as proper stroke technique goes. Learned how to swim as a kid, though. I'm currently taking the Stroke Introduction (Stage 4) class at the local YMCA. Figured it would be good to start with the basics and build up with a solid foundation from there. There are still two other class levels after Stage 4. Should I wait until I've maxed out of all YMCA offered levels before looking at joining the local Masters program?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    So my instructor and I worked out one thing at lessons this week that made a difference in how far I can swim. Rather than breathing every 3rd stroke, she had me switch to every other. This doesn't give me enough time to really start holding my breath. Breath, exhale underwater, breath, exhale... Went from barely eking out 50m to swimming 100m freestyle, although I was tired by the end of 100m. Also did another couple rounds of 75m freestyle during the class too. Started learning butterfly last week and worked on backstroke this week. Did 75m backstroke, but I definitely feel like I could have gone a lot farther. Which, again tells me my distance issue is (at least partially) a breathing issue.
  • Former Member
    So I got my answer to my question of when you should think about joining Masters. Showed up midway through the Masters practice just to watch to see what levels of people they seem to have. Nobody remotely close to my level! Watched the end of their practice from the luxury of the hot tub. Anyhow, one of the members came over after, he's also an instructor at the Y. He suggested I aim for being able to do 1000 yds. (10 sets of 100 yds. would be fine). So anyhow, it's going to be some time until I get there. So until then, I'll just keep doing the Y lessons and practicing solo. Maybe I can make a friend in a lesson to practice with. Stayed and practiced in the rec pool as the lap pool was BUSY and I'm slow and take frequent breaks and didn't want to hold up what I call the "real" swimmers. OMG the rec pool is like a bath tub; it was so warm and gross. But I practiced all 4 strokes in that bath tub of human soup. Swam 4 lengths of the rec pool freestyle (not sure if it's 25 yds. like the lap pool?). Managed 1 full length of awful butterfly. As it turns out the lap pool is yards, not meters. Got in 50 yds. of breaststroke in the lap pool before I gave up my lane to a better swimmer and moved to the rec pool. So all in all a good night and informational. I hope you all don't mind if I still ask questions from time to time, even though I won't be joining Masters anytime soon.
  • The ability to swim 10x100 seems like an appropriate goal and learning the other strokes will be helpful when you are jump into a masters practice. In a lap pool don't worry too much about other better swimmers in the same lane. Most swimmers are used to swimming in a lane with other swimmers and know how to pass. You can wait on the wall for them to pass, move closer to the lane line and let them swim by mid-lane, or just ask if they would like to split the lane which eliminates passing. And you'll need to learn to swim with other swimmers in the lane anyway. Keep swimming and the lessons up and you'll reach that goal.
  • Please don't give up!! Take more instruction and keep working on your distance. let us know how you are doing.
  • I'm not going to quit. It just sucks I'm going to be hanging solo for the foreseeable future. A DNA test showed the bulk of my muscles are fast twitch, former and current gymnast, so don't think I'm gonna get to 10x100 anytime soon. But I'll keep plugging along. I'm envious of all of you who are good at endurance sports. Running and swimming long distances comes so naturally to so many of my friends and families, but not to me at all. I challenged my 5'10" husband to a sprint once.... I'm 5'1". I had him solidly beat initially but he eventually caught up to me and then dusted me. So the 10x100 thing isn't cast-in-stone and only a guideline for when you would be comfortable. There are lots of sprinters around who aren't going to want to be swimming sets like 10x100 (you may be among them). The strength and flexibility from gymnastics will help you with your mechanics too. And the more you swim the more your aerobic energy system will develop, sustaining your effort over longer distances. Swimming is a bit different from other sports - technique is complex using many if not all major muscles, and development of one's anaerobic and aerobic energy systems are key. It just takes time and work in the water. Good swimmers do make it look easy, but they've probably been at it for a long time. FYI - there is a relatively new training theory that some swimmers are following called Ultra Short Race Pace Training (USRPT). It is not a traditional training method, but you may want to check it out. It involves less distance, shorter repeats (25s and 50s) at a goal race pace time. It's being used to train for shorter events - 50s, 100s and 200s. It reminds me a bit of "Tabata" that was initially developed for training in speed skating by a Japanese speed skating trainer named Tabata, but is now used for training in other sports too. You can search the USMS website for "USRPT" and Google. You might want to talk to your instructor about training recommendations starting out so you avoid "grooving" bad habits.
  • So the 10x100 thing isn't cast-in-stone and only a guideline for when you would be comfortable. There are lots of sprinters around who aren't going to want to be swimming sets like 10x100 (you may be among them). The strength and flexibility from gymnastics will help you with your mechanics too. And the more you swim the more your aerobic energy system will develop, sustaining your effort over longer distances. Swimming is a bit different from other sports - technique is complex using many if not all major muscles, and development of one's anaerobic and aerobic energy systems are key. It just takes time and work in the water. Good swimmers do make it look easy, but they've probably been at it for a long time. FYI - there is a relatively new training theory that some swimmers are following called Ultra Short Race Pace Training (USRPT). It is not a traditional training method, but you may want to check it out. It involves less distance, shorter repeats (25s and 50s) at a goal race pace time. It's being used to train for shorter events - 50s, 100s and 200s. It reminds me a bit of "Tabata" that was initially developed for training in speed skating by a Japanese speed skating trainer named Tabata, but is now used for training in other sports too. You can search the USMS website for "USRPT" and Google. You might want to talk to your instructor about training recommendations starting out so you avoid "grooving" bad habits. USRPT works for longer distances to, as shown by Glenn Gruber's master's world records in the 400 free.
  • Former Member
    I'm not going to quit. It just sucks I'm going to be hanging solo for the foreseeable future. A DNA test showed the bulk of my muscles are fast twitch, former and current gymnast, so don't think I'm gonna get to 10x100 anytime soon. But I'll keep plugging along. I'm envious of all of you who are good at endurance sports. Running and swimming long distances comes so naturally to so many of my friends and families, but not to me at all. I challenged my 5'10" husband to a sprint once.... I'm 5'1". I had him solidly beat initially but he eventually caught up to me and then dusted me.
  • USRPT works for longer distances to, as shown by Glenn Gruber's master's world records in the 400 free. Yes, I've been following his progress and posts a bit. Definitely moved USRPT up into the middle distances - guess 8x50=400 and 10x50=500 works in math and in usrpt.