When to think about joining Masters Swimming

Former Member
Former Member
Hi! I'm new to swimming as far as proper stroke technique goes. Learned how to swim as a kid, though. I'm currently taking the Stroke Introduction (Stage 4) class at the local YMCA. Figured it would be good to start with the basics and build up with a solid foundation from there. There are still two other class levels after Stage 4. Should I wait until I've maxed out of all YMCA offered levels before looking at joining the local Masters program?
Parents
  • The ability to swim 10x100 seems like an appropriate goal and learning the other strokes will be helpful when you are jump into a masters practice. In a lap pool don't worry too much about other better swimmers in the same lane. Most swimmers are used to swimming in a lane with other swimmers and know how to pass. You can wait on the wall for them to pass, move closer to the lane line and let them swim by mid-lane, or just ask if they would like to split the lane which eliminates passing. And you'll need to learn to swim with other swimmers in the lane anyway. Keep swimming and the lessons up and you'll reach that goal.
  • The ability to swim 10x100 seems like an appropriate goal and learning the other strokes will be helpful when you are jump into a masters practice. In a lap pool don't worry too much about other better swimmers in the same lane. Most swimmers are used to swimming in a lane with other swimmers and know how to pass. You can wait on the wall for them to pass, move closer to the lane line and let them swim by mid-lane, or just ask if they would like to split the lane which eliminates passing. And you'll need to learn to swim with other swimmers in the lane anyway. Keep swimming and the lessons up and you'll reach that goal.
Children
No Data