When to think about joining Masters Swimming

Former Member
Former Member
Hi! I'm new to swimming as far as proper stroke technique goes. Learned how to swim as a kid, though. I'm currently taking the Stroke Introduction (Stage 4) class at the local YMCA. Figured it would be good to start with the basics and build up with a solid foundation from there. There are still two other class levels after Stage 4. Should I wait until I've maxed out of all YMCA offered levels before looking at joining the local Masters program?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    So my instructor and I worked out one thing at lessons this week that made a difference in how far I can swim. Rather than breathing every 3rd stroke, she had me switch to every other. This doesn't give me enough time to really start holding my breath. Breath, exhale underwater, breath, exhale... Went from barely eking out 50m to swimming 100m freestyle, although I was tired by the end of 100m. Also did another couple rounds of 75m freestyle during the class too. Started learning butterfly last week and worked on backstroke this week. Did 75m backstroke, but I definitely feel like I could have gone a lot farther. Which, again tells me my distance issue is (at least partially) a breathing issue.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    So my instructor and I worked out one thing at lessons this week that made a difference in how far I can swim. Rather than breathing every 3rd stroke, she had me switch to every other. This doesn't give me enough time to really start holding my breath. Breath, exhale underwater, breath, exhale... Went from barely eking out 50m to swimming 100m freestyle, although I was tired by the end of 100m. Also did another couple rounds of 75m freestyle during the class too. Started learning butterfly last week and worked on backstroke this week. Did 75m backstroke, but I definitely feel like I could have gone a lot farther. Which, again tells me my distance issue is (at least partially) a breathing issue.
Children
No Data