Show Us Your Pulse Rates!

Former Member
Former Member
Just came back from a doctor's visit. My pulse was 59. An interesting thing is that I have only been swimming with the team for about 7 weeks and do about 3600 yds. I'm just over 50, by the way. So, how does this compare?
  • I'm 57 years old. Frequently, when I go to the doc and they take my vitals, my pulse will be in the mid-high 40s. That usually prompts questions from the medical professional asking if I'm feeling OK. Sometimes when I awake in the morning...before I move around very much...I will take my pulse. It's often in the high 30s. Dan
  • Mine averages 52, although I averaged 48 when I was swimming more yardage a few years ago(400+ miles/year). (I'm currently at 142 miles for the year, although that pace will drop when I do a lot of traveling later this year.) I am 56 years old, and I swim six days per week. I also do yoga as well as Theraband and PT exercises after my swim workouts.
  • I don't pay a lot of attention to this, but when I do check it (using my Withings watch) during the workday, it's usually around 60 bpm. I'm 51 and, these days, have only been averaging about 12,500 yards per week of swimming.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Per Apple Watch, resting heart rate (think when I’m sleeping) was 45 bpm. It’s about 57 bpm now after a minute of sitting. 37 and exercise nearly every day, swim a minimum of 3 times a week.
  • Just came back from a doctor's visit. My pulse was 59. An interesting thing is that I have only been swimming with the team for about 7 weeks and do about 3600 yds. I'm just over 50, by the way. So, how does this compare? I started swimming in March of last year. When I started, my resting heart rate was in the mid 70's. I have pretty low blood pressure which supposedly correlates with higher RHR. At any rate, after swimming a similar amount of time to you, and a similar distance (do you mean daily, I assume?), it had dropped about 10 points. Then I started following authored workouts, which were shorter in distance, but a whole lot more intense. By mid Summer, I was in the low to mid 50's. Now I'm in the upper 40's. That said, that is on a "skip" day. It is in the mid to upper 50's on days I swim, which I do in the morning. I'm 44.
  • I don't really fit well into such statistics because I take a beta blocker drug for my heart which can artificially depress the heart rate, but as a life-long athlete I have kept my resting HR in the low 50s. It was 51-53 thirty years ago and still is. I have seen it as low as 48, but if it is 60 I'm coming down with something and need rest.
  • Mine sits at about 60 sitting around. 50 "resting" i.e. laying down first thing in the morning. 70 at the doctors as I usually have a small case of white coat syndrome. 29 years old. In college, my training advantage wasn't that my heart rate stayed preternaturally low, but that I could get it back to a reasonable level very quickly in between efforts. That's one of the biggest things that went away for me during my 6 year swimming hiatus. My wife is ridiculous. She broke her wrist a few years ago falling off a pullup bar. She was in the ER for triage and they took her vitals, she's sitting there freaking out about her wrist that was now at an odd angle and her heart rate was still hovering around 60. I'm pretty sure my heart rate was higher at that point and I was perfectly healthy at the time!
  • I run in the low 50s resting/sitting pretty regularly and swim 3-4x/week. I definitely know when I'm at the point of needing rest when my resting HR gets up in the upper 60s to 70s. I was doing Orangetheory (fun circuit training) workouts a year+ ago and got so frustrated that I couldn't get into the orange and red zones easily in class and that the calorie count didn't appear to be what it should be, usually much lower. It was then that I realized that the low HR and relatively quick recovery periods were contributing to that. After that discovery, I continued to work out relative to my own RPE.
  • My wife is ridiculous. She broke her wrist a few years ago falling off a pullup bar. She was in the ER for triage and they took her vitals, she's sitting there freaking out about her wrist that was now at an odd angle and her heart rate was still hovering around 60. I'm pretty sure my heart rate was higher at that point and I was perfectly healthy at the time! As mentioned in my previous post...my resting HR hovers in the mid-40s to mid 50s. When asleep (or unconscious) it's even lower. Several years ago...when having lower back surgery...instead of being allowed to naturally come back to consciousness from the general anesthesia...I was abruptly awoken by the post-op recovery room nurses because my pulse was so low (low/mid-30s). They were standing by with the crash cart and 'paddles' and saying "stay with us..." Until I could mumble to them that my low HR was normal, and that otherwise I felt fine. Since then...any time I'm under general anesthesia I make sure to let the surgical team know that my HR will be lower than what they usually see. Still...they're always shaking me and asking if I feel OK. Dan
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Thank for your responses everyone. This has been a very enjoyable read. Some great stories here - a few of which I'll likely tell people about :)