Repaired a Fastskin-will I be DQ'd?

I successfully repaired a rip in my Speedo Fastskin and am wondering if I would be DQ'd at a meet? There's an 8" strip of industrial seam tape (just like on the inside of the suit) under the arm going vertically. Thanks in advance.
  • HA HA I could just fight my way into one full suit let alone a 2 nd one!!! Yeah, I can't imagine getting two on. I think there was probably a lot of Vaseline involved. I only wore a fullbody LZR Racer for one national meet and popped a hole in the knee. Also wore a Blueseventy bodysuit for one swim at conference a month before that and it was magical. My favorite tech suit in the whole world though was FS Pro legskin.
  • Hello, I was made aware of this question, so I am providing an official answer. Rules questions can be emailed to me at rules@usms.org. I do not regularly read the forums. I reviewed the FINA guidelines for swimwear specifications and the general principles include not having excessive or non-functional seams. The seam construction is part of the original evaluation and approval process when the suit brand/product line is granted approval from FINA. You cannot add or modify the suit substantially from the original construction which was submitted as part of the approval process. There are also some very specific requirements for seams in the approval process. For example: • Joining seams shall not exceed 5 mm. • Reinforcement/protection tapes such as those used to form or cover welded seams shall not exceed 20 mm. • If the seam is glued or has another surface treatment, it must be within the width of the seam and not affect the textile surface. • Waistbands shall not exceed 25.4 mm (one inch) My interpretation would be that if an existing seam rips and you repair it in a manner that is fully consistent with the original manufacturing (i.e., same material, same width/length, no other surface treatment), then we can probably consider the suit still to be legal since you have not substantially modified the suit. However, if the rip is in another part of the suit and you have modified the suit in a way that makes it substantially different from the original construction, then the FINA seal of approval no longer applies. I would interpret adding a seam in a location where one did not previously exist constitutes a substantial modification, so we can no longer consider that legal. Best Regards, Charles Cockrell USMS Rules Committee Chair
  • Per the FINA guidelines, an inside layer of material for the purpose of comfort, decency, or protection of sensitive parts of the body is permitted. If you purchased the suit and it has a FINA seal of approval on it, then it is legal. USMS rules indicate that we accept FINA-approved swimwear in competition. Rules questions should be emailed to rules@usms.org for official answers. Charles Cockrell USMS Rules Committee Chair
  • Because by rule only one suit is permitted in competition. The inside layer of a single suit is only for comfort. Adding an additional suit creates an advantage in terms of muscle compression. Charles Cockrell USMS Rules Committee Chair
  • If your old and slow and just racing for personal times, USMS should allow two suits for modesty - just not count any time for records, rankings or place (i.e and exhibition swim) - many masters don't care about those and it's silly to impose these restrictions upon those swimmers.
  • If your old and slow and just racing for personal times, USMS should allow two suits for modesty - just not count any time for records, rankings or place (i.e and exhibition swim) - many masters don't care about those and it's silly to impose these restrictions upon those swimmers. But you don't think it's "silly" to impose different guidelines for "old and slow" swimmers than for everyone else?
  • If your old and slow and just racing for personal times, USMS should allow two suits for modesty - just not count any time for records, rankings or place (i.e and exhibition swim) - many masters don't care about those and it's silly to impose these restrictions upon those swimmers. I'm sure you can do exactly that right now in about any meet but Nationals. Sure, it'll show "DQ" under the final official results, but if you don't care about records, rankings, or place, you can just take your time and use it how you want. Heck, I bet if I showed up to my next local meet in my old LZR bodysuit and asked for permission they'd let me swim for fun and just DQ me at the end.