Repaired a Fastskin-will I be DQ'd?

I successfully repaired a rip in my Speedo Fastskin and am wondering if I would be DQ'd at a meet? There's an 8" strip of industrial seam tape (just like on the inside of the suit) under the arm going vertically. Thanks in advance.
Parents
  • Hello, I was made aware of this question, so I am providing an official answer. Rules questions can be emailed to me at rules@usms.org. I do not regularly read the forums. I reviewed the FINA guidelines for swimwear specifications and the general principles include not having excessive or non-functional seams. The seam construction is part of the original evaluation and approval process when the suit brand/product line is granted approval from FINA. You cannot add or modify the suit substantially from the original construction which was submitted as part of the approval process. There are also some very specific requirements for seams in the approval process. For example: • Joining seams shall not exceed 5 mm. • Reinforcement/protection tapes such as those used to form or cover welded seams shall not exceed 20 mm. • If the seam is glued or has another surface treatment, it must be within the width of the seam and not affect the textile surface. • Waistbands shall not exceed 25.4 mm (one inch) My interpretation would be that if an existing seam rips and you repair it in a manner that is fully consistent with the original manufacturing (i.e., same material, same width/length, no other surface treatment), then we can probably consider the suit still to be legal since you have not substantially modified the suit. However, if the rip is in another part of the suit and you have modified the suit in a way that makes it substantially different from the original construction, then the FINA seal of approval no longer applies. I would interpret adding a seam in a location where one did not previously exist constitutes a substantial modification, so we can no longer consider that legal. Best Regards, Charles Cockrell USMS Rules Committee Chair
  • Hello, I was made aware of this question, so I am providing an official answer. Rules questions can be emailed to me at rules@usms.org. I do not regularly read the forums. I reviewed the FINA guidelines for swimwear specifications and the general principles include not having excessive or non-functional seams. The seam construction is part of the original evaluation and approval process when the suit brand/product line is granted approval from FINA. You cannot add or modify the suit substantially from the original construction which was submitted as part of the approval process. There are also some very specific requirements for seams in the approval process. For example: • Joining seams shall not exceed 5 mm. • Reinforcement/protection tapes such as those used to form or cover welded seams shall not exceed 20 mm. • If the seam is glued or has another surface treatment, it must be within the width of the seam and not affect the textile surface. • Waistbands shall not exceed 25.4 mm (one inch) My interpretation would be that if an existing seam rips and you repair it in a manner that is fully consistent with the original manufacturing (i.e., same material, same width/length, no other surface treatment), then we can probably consider the suit still to be legal since you have not substantially modified the suit. However, if the rip is in another part of the suit and you have modified the suit in a way that makes it substantially different from the original construction, then the FINA seal of approval no longer applies. I would interpret adding a seam in a location where one did not previously exist constitutes a substantial modification, so we can no longer consider that legal. Best Regards, Charles Cockrell USMS Rules Committee Chair
Children
No Data