Tech suit help.

Former Member
Former Member
I have recently gotten back into swimming and I am looking for my first tech suit. *** stroke is my choice swim along with free (If this helps for certain suits). I am 6 01 and roughly 200lbs. with a waist size of 34. Any help would be great. Ryan
  • I've had good luck with Blue Seventy suits, too. Personally I like the Nero TX. Lots of other people on this forum have had good luck with TYR suits.
  • forums.usms.org/showthread.php
  • Ryan - I've been in masters swimming since 1999 and have several tech suits. I don't think you can go wrong with Speedo or Blue Seventy (admittedly I haven't tried any others). My experience has been that the Blue Seventy suits last longer but every new tech suit wears differently. It'll come down to fit preference especially around the thighs and whether you prefer low or high waist. Speedo has better high waist options. Your measurements above shouldn't hinder any choices. Hope this helps.
  • You're going to be around a 30 depending on how thick your thighs are. But I would definitely recommend finding a place to try some brands on before buying. I'm 6'1"+ 195# with a 33" waist but pretty big thighs for a swimmer thanks to my Olympic lifting phase a couple years back. I have a 30 TYR Thresher that has almost no compression after my first meet so I probably should have gotten a 28. Just recently went to the swim shop to try some other brands on to get something tighter, tried a 30 BlueSeventy and couldn't get the thing on all the way because it wouldn't fit over my thighs - either it was made for short people or the gasket material in the thighs didn't have enough stretch. Ended up with a 30 Speedo LZR Racer Pro that fits about as well as I could hope. That's my N=1, I don't have experience with any other brands but Nike and they are out of the tech suit game. But anyway you should try to find someplace to try some on first.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Thanks for the help.
  • Former Member
    great read, thank you.
  • Former Member
    I will have to check out the Blue Seventy, thank you
  • If you're on a budget, I've had good luck with Yingfa suits. There used to be someone on here who sold them (maybe he still does?) but his name escapes me. I think he was in the Vancouver, BC area. They are Chinese sized, and (I think his name was) George provided advice on the best size. I think I paid about $30 for Yingfa suit and felt extremely fast the first time I wore it. Other than the occasional meet, I don't wear a jammer, as I don't like the fit. I have thick legs and it is tough to get a suit that fits my legs that has the right waist size. I've also gotten some prior year Speedo racing jammers for about $40-50. But they didn't fit as well, feel as fast, or last as long as the Yingfa.
  • Update: I was able to try on a Arena Carbon Pro (size 30), I got it on at the knees and that was it. Possibly a 32 would make it over my legs? I have decent sized legs and that suit was not forgiving at all. I also tried on an older model Speedo lzr pro but I didn't like that it had no gaskets on the legs. Finally I tried on the Speedo lzr elite in a size 32. I think I could have went down a size in this one but for now its got good compression. I couldn't turn it down for the price, and for a first tech suit I thought why not. Brand new in the box for $45.00 I really can't size down the Carbon Pro. I'm glad you got a suit you like and that is a great price.
  • Former Member
    Update: I was able to try on a Arena Carbon Pro (size 30), I got it on at the knees and that was it. Possibly a 32 would make it over my legs? I have decent sized legs and that suit was not forgiving at all. I also tried on an older model Speedo lzr pro but I didn't like that it had no gaskets on the legs. Finally I tried on the Speedo lzr elite in a size 32. I think I could have went down a size in this one but for now its got good compression. I couldn't turn it down for the price, and for a first tech suit I thought why not. Brand new in the box for $45.00