Tennis elbow-doesn’t hurt while swimming

Former Member
Former Member
I have tennis elbow in my left elbow. I’ve had it in my right elbow and had successful surgery a few years ago. While I’m swimming I feel no discomfort at all. I swim freestyle almost exclusively. I use resistance gloves as well with zero pain or discomfort. Outside of the pool I can barely lift a bottle of shampoo or my Diet Coke can without feel pain. My question is since I’m not feeling pain while swimming am I doing damage anyway? I took up swimming because of my elbows...weights are not a good idea for me. I don’t want to have to stop swimming now too. Thoughts?? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Try ditching the gloves and see what happens. Have you seen the doc for this yet?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Try ditching the gloves and see what happens. Have you seen the doc for this yet? Oh yes. I’ve had a couple cortisone injections. I just want to make sure I’m not doing damage when I’m swimming. It doesn’t hurt at all while swimming. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • . I just want to make sure I’m not doing damage when I’m swimming. It doesn’t hurt at all while swimming unfortunately there’s only one sure way to confirm that. You can get a decent workout in the pool without using the arms, and maybe 2 wks can provide an answer
  • I have tennis elbow in my left elbow. I’ve had it in my right elbow and had successful surgery a few years ago. While I’m swimming I feel no discomfort at all. I swim freestyle almost exclusively. I use resistance gloves as well with zero pain or discomfort. Outside of the pool I can barely lift a bottle of shampoo or my Diet Coke can without feel pain. My question is since I’m not feeling pain while swimming am I doing damage anyway? I took up swimming because of my elbows...weights are not a good idea for me. I don’t want to have to stop swimming now too. Thoughts?? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Google "EPAT Therapy" and see if someone in your area is doing this type of Therapy. I did this and it cured my swimmers Elbow. The local TV station actually did a segment on it with me..will see if I can find it and add a link here is the link to my Austin Dr where they discuss EPAT spinalrehabsportsmedicine.com/.../
  • This gives me some info that I did not have considering my elbow. Thanx
  • I now hear "swimmers elbow" for the same reasons.
  • Former Member
    I think you should see a doctor asap about this and be really careful about using hand-resistance devices while swimming (in my opinion you should stop using them altogether). I used to use hand paddles to pull on free style and as a result I did a lot of damage to my elbow tendons, particularly on the left side, which also triggered a bout of shingles. Before the major injury occurred I also noticed that once I got swimming I had no pain during the swim ... but the injury was apparently occurring anyway. My tendons eventually healed, but very slowly, and I have never gone back to using any sort of hand-resistance device. The injuries have not recurred although I have occasional and minor pain in my tendons if I work out hard and without taking a rest day now and again.
  • Former Member
    I think you should see a doctor asap about this and be really careful about using hand-resistance devices while swimming (in my opinion you should stop using them altogether). I used to use hand paddles to pull on free style and as a result I did a lot of damage to my elbow tendons, particularly on the left side, which also triggered a bout of shingles. Before the major injury occurred I also noticed that once I got swimming I had no pain during the swim ... but the injury was apparently occurring anyway. My tendons eventually healed, but very slowly, and I have never gone back to using any sort of hand-resistance device. The injuries have not recurred although I have occasional and minor pain in my tendons if I work out hard and without taking a rest day now and again. This is exactly what I was wondering. I have stopped using resistance gloves and will likely not use them again. I will be having surgery on my elbow in mid April. Thank you for your reply! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • which also triggered a bout of shingles. UUMMM?I don't think they are related this way. I M H O
  • Former Member
    which also triggered a bout of shingles. UUMMM?I don't think they are related this way. I M H O I believe they are, in fact. As I understand it, if you've had chicken pox the virus never leaves your body but instead remains dormant where the body's large nerves attach to the spinal cord. Trauma and stress can both reactivate the virus, causing it to multiply and travel down the nerve, which is what happened in my case ... the same arm that with the injured tendon was also struck by shingles a few days later. I should also mention that the tendon injury, although it came on over time, suddenly and without warning became extremely painful literally overnight (in fact the first night it struck it woke me out of a deep sleep) ... I guess the damage had reached some sort of critical point. It's not uncommon to get shingle after serious accidents or illnesses ... even extreme stress can bring it on. And when this happened I was below the age when one could have attributed the onset to my age.