Time differentials between strokes

Former Member
Former Member
For those who swim more than one stroke, do the differences in these times seem about average? 50 yards from a push: Freestyle - :33/34 Backstroke - :37 Breaststroke - :46/47 Butterfly - :35 Any feedback is appreciated!
  • You can click here to compare collective masters swimmers time differences between strokes. I just did a little search out of curiosity. By taking the middle time (i.e. the 250th ranking time out of 500) for each stroke of the 50-54 male SCY swims last season respective to free. It was: fr 1.00 bk 1.26 br 1.32 fl 1.10 Yours was: fr 1.00 bk 1.10 br 1.38 fl 1.06 Myself: fr 1.00 bk 1.23 br 1.31 fl 1.13 I thought back was my slowest, turns out to be my fastest
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    i would say your a fly/backstroker ... and like me they will be passing you in breaststroke in the IM Those are my two favorite strokes... the other two are just so confounding.
  • Former Member
    Yeah, your breaststroke is pretty far behind your other three strokes. I'd say 5-7 seconds difference between free and *** is probably a good rule of thumb. Backstroke is a bit off compared to your fly, in an ideal world those are pretty much even from a push. Obviously from a dive that would change things some. But keeping the ratios "in line" really only matters if you care to be a generalist or IMer. FWIW, I'm an IMer, pretty even between strokes. Last meet (which was my first meet back from 6-year swimming break so take it with a grain of salt), I swam all of the 50s short course meters, my times were: Fly - 26.5 Back - 27.5 *** - 31.2 Free - 25.3 Wow those are great times, I guess my swimming goal would be not to have such a large variance/deficiency between any of the strokes... so breaststroke needs a lot of work. I’m probably too drag-sensitive for big improvements though, and swimming it feels like an accordion that’s being scrunched and stretched out over and over. i think I could see bigger improvements in back and fly, with some marginal improvement in free, but reducing the huge difference in the *** time is going to be a life long goal probably.
  • Fly - 26.5 Back - 27.5 *** - 31.2 Free - 25.3 OK, now I am really embarrassed with my times :-(
  • Have you tried the early dolphin kick in your pullout? Are you faster with the dolphin during the pulldown? At the risk of derailing the OP, I did dolphin during the pulldown all through college but I have been playing with timing a bit recently actually... I just haven't put a clock on it or anything yet. Will do more investigation and report back!
  • Well, I'm a terrible backstoker and my backstroke time wise has been worst than breaststroke since I was a kid. Although I didn't swim as a kid, I'm the same way. My strokes by speed are: free, ***/back (about the same), then fly. I've swum the 100 IM at meets a few times, both yards and meters. After the first 50 I'm usually toward the back of the pack, then by the end of *** I'm back in the thick of things.
  • Former Member
    Wow those are great times, I guess my swimming goal would be not to have such a large variance/deficiency between any of the strokes... so breaststroke needs a lot of work. I’m probably too drag-sensitive for big improvements though, and swimming it feels like an accordion that’s being scrunched and stretched out over and over. i think I could see bigger improvements in back and fly, with some marginal improvement in free, but reducing the huge difference in the *** time is going to be a life long goal probably. Well, I'm a terrible backstoker and my backstroke time wise has been worst than breaststroke since I was a kid. Its true you probably need to work on breaststroke since I did a 42 breaststroke when I was 45 years old after not swimming for over 30 years. At age 59 years old for not swimming much the past 8 years I posted a 51 second breaststroke.
  • Former Member
    Well, I'm a terrible backstoker and my backstroke time wise has been worst than breaststroke since I was a kid. Its true you probably need to work on breaststroke since I did a 42 breaststroke when I was 45 years old after not swimming for over 30 years. At age 59 years old for not swimming much the past 8 years I posted a 51 second breaststroke. I’m going to get a camera to film myself underwater and over water... hopefully the areas for improvement will be apparent and an easy fix.
  • Although I didn't swim as a kid, I'm the same way. My strokes by speed are: free, ***/back (about the same), then fly. Same here, although I swam in high school, and then took 31 years off. My stroke speed is the same as yours. :agree:
  • I haven't swum 50s in all 4 strokes in the 65-69 age group. But I think the ratios would be the same as 60-64: 50 yd Fly 28.52 50 BK 33.62 50 BR 30.35 50 Free 27.11. My 50 BK was that fast only because I swam the underwater parts as breaststroke on my back(much faster than my dolphin kick, much much faster than my surface backstroke.