Time differentials between strokes

Former Member
Former Member
For those who swim more than one stroke, do the differences in these times seem about average? 50 yards from a push: Freestyle - :33/34 Backstroke - :37 Breaststroke - :46/47 Butterfly - :35 Any feedback is appreciated!
  • I must not be a freestyler comparatively. Which I guess I kinda already knew. Free 1.00 Back 1.08 Fly 1.04 *** 1.23 OK, now I am really embarrassed with my times :-(Those are super scm swims. The freestyle just seems like that because the strokes were so comparatively fast!
  • I haven't swum 50s in all 4 strokes in the 65-69 age group. But I think the ratios would be the same as 60-64: 50 yd Fly 28.52 50 BK 33.62 50 BR 30.35 50 Free 27.11. My 50 BK was that fast only because I swam the underwater parts as breaststroke on my back(much faster than my dolphin kick, much much faster than my surface backstroke. Hey, King Frog, I'm curious. Have you ever tried swimming backstroke doing ALL breaststroke kicks along with double armed pull? I do that at the end of my cool downs just to stretch out my upper body (and, it's fun!). So far, I've figured out that doing the kick before the pull works best for me (or, is more fun, at least!). It would be opposite of breaststroke where the pull comes first, but it seems to work better than doing both at the same time or pulling first. I've never timed any of it, but it sure is fun to mess around with at the end of a workout. CAUTION: Just make sure you use a nose clip, if you are too tired to pay very close attention to your breathing! My face tends to get a bit submerged when I do this made-up stroke, and I nearly waterboarded myself one time when I was really tired and not being careful! :drowning: :whiteflag:
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    I haven't swum 50s in all 4 strokes in the 65-69 age group. But I think the ratios would be the same as 60-64: 50 yd Fly 28.52 50 BK 33.62 50 BR 30.35 50 Free 27.11. My 50 BK was that fast only because I swam the underwater parts as breaststroke on my back(much faster than my dolphin kick, much much faster than my surface backstroke. Smokin....!
  • Have you tried the early dolphin kick in your pullout? Are you faster with the dolphin during the pulldown? I know this is resurrecting an old thread, but Allen, this tip/catalyst for change was the single biggest thing that affected my National meet. I KILLED my breaststroke underwaters.
  • For those who swim more than one stroke, do the differences in these times seem about average? 50 yards from a push: Freestyle - :33/34 Backstroke - :37 Breaststroke - :46/47 Butterfly - :35 Any feedback is appreciated! Your Freestyle - :33/34 & Butterfly - :35 seem to be your best strokes, Backstroke - :37 but it should be closer to your fly time and you really need to improve your Breaststroke - :46/47 BR, it should be closer to your free time like maybe a 6, 7, or 8 sec time difference between your free and BR.
  • Former Member
    Your Freestyle - :33/34 & Butterfly - :35 seem to be your best strokes, Backstroke - :37 but it should be closer to your fly time and you really need to improve your Breaststroke - :46/47 BR, it should be closer to your free time like maybe a 6, 7, or 8 sec time difference between your free and BR. Thank you for your insight :) i have received a lot of valuable feedback from so many sources here on USMS via video analysis and have incorporated it into each of my strokes. The video analysis has been incredibly useful and revealing (watching how your body jiggles underwater has been an eye opener). Although I’m not entirely sure that the improvements in technique have resulted in significant speed improvements (I think a lot of it is the drag factor from my body shape), I’ll time myself this weekend on the strokes and will report back.
  • Former Member
    Thank you for your insight :) i have received a lot of valuable feedback from so many sources here on USMS via video analysis and have incorporated it into each of my strokes. The video analysis has been incredibly useful and revealing (watching how your body jiggles underwater has been an eye opener). Although I’m not entirely sure that the improvements in technique have resulted in significant speed improvements (I think a lot of it is the drag factor from my body shape), I’ll time myself this weekend on the strokes and will report back. I think your times are real good. When I swam in my mid-40's before I came back about 2 years ago I swam a fly in only 40 seconds.
  • Former Member
    I think your times are real good. When I swam in my mid-40's before I came back about 2 years ago I swam a fly in only 40 seconds. :blush:
  • Former Member
    For those who swim more than one stroke, do the differences in these times seem about average? 50 yards from a push: Freestyle - :33/34 Backstroke - :37 Breaststroke - :46/47 Butterfly - :35 Any feedback is appreciated! Update after 5 months: Freestyle - :32 Backstroke - :33 Breaststroke - :44 (and I couldn’t do this time consistently) Butterfly - :33 i rarely ever sprint, or even pay attention to my swim times (pace clock in pool is terrible, the Pool Swim function on Apple Watch 3 is good for a lot of things but not for timing, unless there’s a way to prevent the watch face from going dark), so I’m pretty happy with the drops in time which must be attributable to improvements in technique except for breaststroke.