Time differentials between strokes

Former Member
Former Member
For those who swim more than one stroke, do the differences in these times seem about average? 50 yards from a push: Freestyle - :33/34 Backstroke - :37 Breaststroke - :46/47 Butterfly - :35 Any feedback is appreciated!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Yeah, your breaststroke is pretty far behind your other three strokes. I'd say 5-7 seconds difference between free and *** is probably a good rule of thumb. Backstroke is a bit off compared to your fly, in an ideal world those are pretty much even from a push. Obviously from a dive that would change things some. But keeping the ratios "in line" really only matters if you care to be a generalist or IMer. FWIW, I'm an IMer, pretty even between strokes. Last meet (which was my first meet back from 6-year swimming break so take it with a grain of salt), I swam all of the 50s short course meters, my times were: Fly - 26.5 Back - 27.5 *** - 31.2 Free - 25.3 Wow those are great times, I guess my swimming goal would be not to have such a large variance/deficiency between any of the strokes... so breaststroke needs a lot of work. I’m probably too drag-sensitive for big improvements though, and swimming it feels like an accordion that’s being scrunched and stretched out over and over. i think I could see bigger improvements in back and fly, with some marginal improvement in free, but reducing the huge difference in the *** time is going to be a life long goal probably.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Yeah, your breaststroke is pretty far behind your other three strokes. I'd say 5-7 seconds difference between free and *** is probably a good rule of thumb. Backstroke is a bit off compared to your fly, in an ideal world those are pretty much even from a push. Obviously from a dive that would change things some. But keeping the ratios "in line" really only matters if you care to be a generalist or IMer. FWIW, I'm an IMer, pretty even between strokes. Last meet (which was my first meet back from 6-year swimming break so take it with a grain of salt), I swam all of the 50s short course meters, my times were: Fly - 26.5 Back - 27.5 *** - 31.2 Free - 25.3 Wow those are great times, I guess my swimming goal would be not to have such a large variance/deficiency between any of the strokes... so breaststroke needs a lot of work. I’m probably too drag-sensitive for big improvements though, and swimming it feels like an accordion that’s being scrunched and stretched out over and over. i think I could see bigger improvements in back and fly, with some marginal improvement in free, but reducing the huge difference in the *** time is going to be a life long goal probably.
Children
No Data