Kudos to forumite and now English Channel crosser ...

... Kurt Dickson! He swam this overnight and completed this in 10:20. :applaud::agree::bow:
  • We met at 2am, did some paperwork (supposed to have your passport...my wife did not). I started swimming at 337am. First 4 hours was kinda miserable. With the sun up, I felt much better. I was in French water by about 4.5 hours and thought I would be well under 10 but I think I was swimming against a current or something at the end. ok who here wants up at 2am to swim at 337am in cold water? and not just a dip, but do it for basically 11hrs. i'll be the 1st to raise my hand and say NOT ME!!! plus there is no stripe on the bottom to follow i would zigzag so much i would make it a 40mile crossing
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    Congratulations! What is your age or age group? Did you wear dark or light-colored goggles or did you change goggles during the crossing? Also when you finish did you get puffy face from the salt and numb hands? Just curious.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    I'm 50. I used clear goggles the whole way. I got hit right over upper and lower lips with a jelly fish but no swelling or numbness. I did get a 24 hour flu (fever, body aches, shaking chills) about 1 day after completing. Thanks. (No video?)
  • Congratulations! What is your age or age group? Did you wear dark or light-colored goggles or did you change goggles during the crossing? Also when you finish did you get puffy face from the salt and numb hands? Just curious. I'm 50. I used clear goggles the whole way. I got hit right over upper and lower lips with a jelly fish but no swelling or numbness. I did get a 24 hour flu (fever, body aches, shaking chills) about 1 day after completing.
  • You swam against a current in cold water in the EC and STILL did 10:xx hrs?! Just... wow! I'm getting slowly into marathon swims, and a recent one, partly against a current resulted in a dnf (6.5 out of 8 miles. .... last year, I finished, so 8 is my longest swim... 21 isn't even on the horizon at the moment, although a double digit swims keeps beckoning). Would love to know how you handle/prevent the pain. My arms feel like they're going to fall off when I go longer than 3-4 miles. Bottom line. .... huge congratulations! Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  • Great article, Kurt! :applaud:You're still insane, but oh so inspiring ... I just might man up and swim the 1500 LCM someday again (in climate controlled water) as that's about as tough as I can aspire to be ;):bow:
  • Read about our fellow Forumite, (and my fellow Swimspire writer) here: www.swimspire.com/.../ Great article, Kurt and Julia! :applaud:
  • Congrats Kurt! ok who here wants up at 2am to swim at 337am in cold water? i'll be the 1st to raise my hand and say NOT ME!!! plus there is no stripe on the bottom to follow i would zigzag so much i would make it a 40mile crossing Yeh, this is never happening for me. I'm allergic to cold water.
  • I've been looking for something to do this year as I turn 50, but there is no chance I'd attempt something like this. So amazing Kurt. Just so amazing.