Kudos to forumite and now English Channel crosser ...

... Kurt Dickson! He swam this overnight and completed this in 10:20. :applaud::agree::bow:
  • Read about our fellow Forumite, (and my fellow Swimspire writer) here: www.swimspire.com/.../ Great article, Kurt and Julia! :applaud: Yes, this was interesting! So it sounds like it costs around $4k to rent the boat and pilot, correct? Wow, that's steep!
  • I've been looking for something to do this year as I turn 50Start with the 400 IM ;)
  • So it sounds like it costs around $4k to rent the boat and pilot, correct? Wow, that's steep! Plus I took my wife and daughter to crew for me. Then my daughter got married and I felt guilty and had to bring him. Also, one should get there several days either side of your tide in case you go early or late--2 weeks lodging. 4 flights in the economy class (where the floor starts looking like a great place to be after 10 hours of flying). Rental car (max out the insurance--those narrow roads are insane!) for 2 weeks. Grand total of around 15-20k. Don't worry I've not started a Go fund me. I am selling one of my kidneys on the black market however. As an aside, WR, I agree with PWB, 400 IM is a great place to start...much cheaper than my mid-life crisis and any standard mid-life crisis (corvette, girlfriend, plastic surgery, divorce).
  • Plus I took my wife and daughter to crew for me. Then my daughter got married and I felt guilty and had to bring him. Also, one should get there several days either side of your tide in case you go early or late--2 weeks lodging. 4 flights in the economy class (where the floor starts looking like a great place to be after 10 hours of flying). Rental car (max out the insurance--those narrow roads are insane!) for 2 weeks. Grand total of around 15-20k. Don't worry I've not started a Go fund me. I am selling one of my kidneys on the black market however. It's a lot, but if there's anything that's a "once in a lifetime" event, this is pretty much it!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    I am selling one of my kidneys on the black market however. More buoyant now :D
  • As an aside, WR, I agree with PWB, 400 IM is a great place to start...much cheaper than my mid-life crisis and any standard mid-life crisis (corvette, girlfriend, plastic surgery, divorce).Can I drill it? if your kidney doesn't sell well, I'm sure your "little swimmers" would given you're an EC crosser!
  • I am selling one of my kidneys on the black market however. are you saving more money and doing the surgery yourself?
  • .....Finally, most swim in cold water which was impossible in Arizona (I believe this might have been most helpful). I was talking with a friend yesterday who lives in Georgia but loves ice swimming. She told a very funny story about going to a tractor supply store (like Home Depot for farmers) to try out cow troughs by lying in them. She found the right one, and spent all last winter filling it up with ice water to soak in to train for the cold water. :agree: Belated congratulations Kurt!! :bow:
  • Cool writeup in the BYU magazine Kurt!
  • Better than a romance novel: “his rock hard body glistened with frigid sea water as a spotlight from the boat offshore illuminated the steam emanating off his chiseled features...” Perhaps a bit misquoted. Ha. :) Happy Sunday everyone! magazine.byu.edu/.../