practically speaking

Practically speaking, how long does it take for one to drop their time in a given event? For example, my best 50 free (scy) is 42 seconds. How much time can I expect to drop in the next, say, 6 months? Pardon my ignorance, but I'm new to all this and thanks in advance!
  • Hi! Every situation is absolutely unique: athletic background, time willing to spend training, general physical makeup, coaching etc... the great news is that usually the easiest gains are at the start. With a bit of energy and enthusiasm you can see meaningful improvement in that period of time! How's that for a vague answer? ;)
  • In my first meet, I did :40 for the 50 free. I had started in the water and had only learnt how to do flip turns 2 weeks before. I took 3 breaths per lap :blush:. I was swimming about 2k for 6 days. Since then, I was "promoted" to a faster lane who did all the sets that the coach gave, I was swimming about 3k for 6 days. Was more confident in my flip turns, and I got the opportunity to practice diving in. Exactly 2 months after my first meet, went back for my second meet, did the same 50 free event, and I got :35. I took 3 breaths total the entire time :applaud:. Today, its another 2 months after my second meet, and I feel like I could get another PB. I am able to reduce it down to 2 breaths total and have been practicing my underwater kicks. I too want to go down to the low :30s, and am aware that there are a lot of things I can work on to get better. But I get lazy. When the coach tells me to correct something, I will work on it during the warmups, but when the set comes, I completely forget what I should correct and try to keep up with my lane mates :drown:. And I personally don't have the time and motivation to practice on my own. So I think it is definitely doable, but it's going to me a while...:waiting:
  • This is absolutely doable. You can probably get under :40 just by improving your start and turn. Well, that's another thing, I'm faster on an open turn than I am a flip turn! Is that normal? Should I try to get my flip turn faster?
  • Well, that's another thing, I'm faster on an open turn than I am a flip turn! Is that normal? Should I try to get my flip turn faster? It's normal if you have a poor flip turn, yes. If you have a good turn you can save around a second per turn compared to an open turn.
  • Practically speaking, how long does it take for one to drop their time in a given event? For example, my best 50 free (scy) is 42 seconds. How much time can I expect to drop in the next, say, 6 months? Pardon my ignorance, but I'm new to all this and thanks in advance! At :42 for 50 scy you don't qualify as a newbie anymore :) Try to get into the pool for up to 2-3000 yards about 3+ times per week (4 or 5 if you can work up to that) and it will help with your conditioning. More importantly, to improve efficiency you need good coaching and workouts that develop efficiency and avoid grooving bad habits. 50s are short races, so everything counts: your start, breakout, stroke rate, breathing, turn, and finish. there is plenty to work on, do it and you'll be dropping time quickly.
  • At :42 for 50 scy you don't qualify as a newbie anymore :). Aw, thanks, that made me smile! Thank you. Yes, I do swim 2000 4 times a week! However, my masters group isn't coached so I'm on my own but I have 2 great resources at my pool but they're there for their workout and don't have much time to help. I ask them for help occasionally. I record myself from the balcony and underwater to see what I'm doing wrong/right and see improvements. I do quite a bit (30-45 minutes) of strength and core work after each swim. I just don't want to get my hopes up and make only teeny progress. I'd like to get into the :30s for my 50 free. Thanks again for the encouragement!
  • I'd like to get into the :30s for my 50 free. This is absolutely doable. You can probably get under :40 just by improving your start and turn.