Nutrition

If this belongs in the non-swimming category, feel free to move it as I wasn't sure where it needed to go. Do any of you count your macros? I'm getting way too many carbs and not enough protein. I'm ok on fat intake. Thanks in advance and I look forward to your answers!
  • Dark chocolate has been my dessert of choice for years :)
  • Dark chocolate has been my dessert of choice for years :) Swimming and chocolate = :bliss:
  • The only thing I count are my strokes! ;) For protein, I bring a scoop of chocolate 100% whey protein powder to the pool in a water bottle, and then I hit the drinking fountain for a fill-up after my swim. Does that taste good?
  • For protein, I bring a scoop of chocolate 100% whey protein powder to the pool in a water bottle, and then I hit the drinking fountain for a fill-up after my swim. If I had remembered this, I would've talked to you about it and maybe gotten a sip!
  • I gave up wheat and all other grains 15 months ago, also no seed oils and very, very low sugar, no processed food, home cooked meals, fish, meat,eggs, veg, nuts basically Keto LCHF, Paleo, so many labels. Thanks for the detailed explanation. I wish I could do this but I'm such a picky eater!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    I gave up wheat and all other grains 15 months ago, also no seed oils and very, very low sugar, no processed food, home cooked meals, fish, meat,eggs, veg, nuts basically Keto LCHF, Paleo, so many labels. The difference has been so dramatic. All of my reflux, IBS, fatigue and many other issues vanished and I feel great and my weight dropped from 200lbs to 165lbs in 4 months, now stable at around 170lbs. I work from home so I have the luxury of preparing my own meals and not everyone can give up bread and pizza. Eating out is very difficult but I feel younger now at 53 than I have since my 30's. Your body completely changes when you are keto adapted, basically you switch from a sugar burner to a fat burner. I often exercise in fasted state, eat nothing during long bike rides and don't need to eat after exercise. Your body changes how it uses the energy systems and I have needed to do a lot of research in the area. This is perfect for endurance athletes, but more challenging for swimmers with our max effort swims and glycolytic energy use. I have learnt to add some carbs during swim meets to replenish after an event. There are a handful of swimmers at my club experimenting with this approach. Thanks for a good thread, Gareth
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    I found it very easy but it is not for everyone. I do think that all should try 1 month grain, sugar and seed oil free to see what it does for them. There are many who have had dramatic improvements in weight, health, mood etc as the 20lbs of inflammation that most people carry goes away. It certainly changed my life.:)
  • I'm interested in what you mean by grain free. I'm allergic to tree nuts so it's always limited my ability to go vegan, though I've been processed foods/sugar free and felt great. I've been trying to knock off some considerable weight but although I mostly eat a healthy diet, I don't quite understand what to eat instead of grain (and what seed oils are you referring to?) ElaineK, I'm going to try that whey protein in a water bottle. Usually I mix it with coconut milk and a fruit.