Nutrition

If this belongs in the non-swimming category, feel free to move it as I wasn't sure where it needed to go. Do any of you count your macros? I'm getting way too many carbs and not enough protein. I'm ok on fat intake. Thanks in advance and I look forward to your answers!
  • If this belongs in the non-swimming category, feel free to move it as I wasn't sure where it needed to go. Do any of you count your macros? I'm getting way too many carbs and not enough protein. I'm ok on fat intake. Thanks in advance and I look forward to your answers! The only thing I count are my strokes! ;) When it comes to my diet, I make sure it's well-balanced, but I don't obsess over it. For protein, I bring a scoop of chocolate 100% whey protein powder to the pool in a water bottle, and then I hit the drinking fountain for a fill-up after my swim. When I get home, I make a smoothie with blueberries, bananas, light vanilla soy milk, and a tablespoon of chia seeds (great price for a bag at Costco!). For variety, I'll substitute other fruit when the mood strikes. Although I don't eat lunch, I do snack on fruit and almonds during the day when the I get hungry. At dinner time, we get our protein from plant-based sources most of the time (beans, legumes, grains); however, we're too addicted to salmon and shrimp to go to a completely plant-based diet. In addition, dinners include a lot of veggies. We're big on broccoli, so we eat it most nights of the week along with other veggies. As for the fat part of my diet: CHOCOLATE! :ohyeah:
  • At my wife's suggestion I tried a (mostly) grain free diet ( I still eat some white rice.) She said it should help with inflammation. It has and I have much less gastric reflux. I was not trying to lose weight, as I felt pretty good about that, but I lost 7 lb, almost all from the waist, 2 belt notches. I have the vague appearance of a 6 pack for the first time in years. YMMV.
  • I have the vague appearance of a 6 pack for the first time in years. YMMV. Hmmm, I've never seen a frog with 6-pack abs. :D
  • At my wife's suggestion I tried a (mostly) grain free diet ( I still eat some white rice.) She said it should help with inflammation. It has and I have much less gastric reflux. I was not trying to lose weight, as I felt pretty good about that, but I lost 7 lb, almost all from the waist, 2 belt notches. I have the vague appearance of a 6 pack for the first time in years. YMMV. I'm curious what you eat for breakfast? and no sandwiches for lunch?
  • Breakfast is usually before swimming, so I have Perpetuem (sports drink) or a smoothie. Lunch is usually something like grilled chicken, salad, and a baked potato or sweet potato. Also, always, dark chocolate for desert.
  • Breakfast is usually before swimming, so I have Perpetuem (sports drink) or a smoothie. Lunch is usually something like grilled chicken, salad, and a baked potato or sweet potato. Also, always, dark chocolate for desert. :ohyeah: ​
  • Does that taste good? I like it. I bought a big bag of Cytosport from Costco when it was on sale, and I liked it enough to buy several more since then. I always wait until it goes on sale, so it saves me $8. :D
  • I like it. So, does it taste chocolate water? I'm such a picky eater but chocolate sounds good!
  • So, does it taste chocolate water? I'm such a picky eater but chocolate sounds good! It doesn't have the consistency of a milk shake because water is thinner, but it still has a good chocolate flavor. By time I'm finished with my swim and yoga, I'm ready for it! :drool:
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    Yeah, I'm pretty detailed about it too. Protein and carbs, about 10 grams before swimming and ~25 grams after seems to yield pretty good results. I prefer pea or pumpkin seed (hemp seed might work too) protein powder since it's hypoallergenic and way easier on the stomach when you're swimming repeats haha!