PRs and avg improvement times

What do most people see as their PR's dropping in terms of times? It is a few seconds, more than 5, 10? Vic
  • What do most people see as their PR's dropping in terms of times? It is a few seconds, more than 5, 10? Vic You do realize this depends on the length of race, right? Are you asking about a 50 yard breaststroke race or a 3K open water race (I compete in both)? Your question is way to broad to answer. Can you narrow it down just a tad? ;) Also, the slower you are, the more room there is to improve. Your time drops have been in huge chunks, whereas if you ask Michael Phelps about his PR's, the time drops probably came down to tiny fractions of a second.
  • Yes I do. I'll take any thing from 50 free to 1650. Open water. I'm open to everything, that's why I asked. I'm just wanting to soak up whatever people offer. Yes but what about us? MP is way out of our league. I'd take you swam as a kid or not, you didn't do well at X stroke and did, anything.
  • Yes I do. I'll take any thing from 50 free to 1650. Open water. I'm open to everything, that's why I asked. I'm just wanting to soak up whatever people offer. Yes but what about us? MP is way out of our league. I'd take you swam as a kid or not, you didn't do well at X stroke and did, anything. :confused: I'm sorry, but I am not understanding what you are trying to convey. In my case, I only swam competitively in high school. After that, I was a gym rat for 31 years before I got back in the pool. Everybody is different. Abilities/disabilities, injuries, illnesses, congenital issues, training, age; there are so many factors that play a part that it is an impossible question to answer.
  • If a PR happens in your 5 year age group- great. As far as your lifetime, I don't count on those anymore. Every 5 years is a PR bracket I can live with.
  • Since I've only swum one meet I can't say. But I can relate it to running. I started running seriously at 30, ran the best 200-400-800m and 1 mile times at 36-38, and best 5-10-15Km times at 40-41. Everything went downhill from that point, however, when I reached 60 I was suddenly thrust into medal position even through my run times were way, way off what I thought was competitive. I hadn't noticed how many people I competed against 20 years prior had fallen away. I think, likewise, the number or competitors in swimming drops way off after 60. I was one of only 3 in the 65-69 AG at the last swim meet.
  • This actually sounds the best I've heard of - PR for every 5 years. Do people even watch their PR's by years? I was thinking I'd wait until I was 55 and then start a new set of PR's. Or do people keep PR's for their life? I can't see why people would rank what they did at 60 with what they did as a 17 year old, for example. If a PR happens in your 5 year age group- great. As far as your lifetime, I don't count on those anymore. Every 5 years is a PR bracket I can live with.
  • I'm still into celebrating that Sumorunner. I just want to see people focusing on goals of some sort to keep them in. Trying new things or attempting new tweaks in their technique. I understand everyone's point. I would expect that the PR's mentioned not be in the youth years but in your older years. Even if you did 30-39 and then 40-49, at least it gives you an idea of what people do. Since I've only swum one meet I can't say. But I can relate it to running. I started running seriously at 30, ran the best 200-400-800m and 1 mile times at 36-38, and best 5-10-15Km times at 40-41. Everything went downhill from that point, however, when I reached 60 I was suddenly thrust into medal position even through my run times were way, way off what I thought was competitive. I hadn't noticed how many people I competed against 20 years prior had fallen away. I think, likewise, the number or competitors in swimming drops way off after 60. I was one of only 3 in the 65-69 AG at the last swim meet.
  • Yes I do. I'll take any thing from 50 free to 1650. Open water. I'm open to everything, that's why I asked. I'm just wanting to soak up whatever people offer. Yes but what about us? MP is way out of our league. I'd take you swam as a kid or not, you didn't do well at X stroke and did, anything. This is such a vague question it's difficult to answer. Some of us who are older and swam year-round through high school and college will likely not be able to even approach PR's in many events because we were at our absolute prime when we were young. Others may have all kinds of reasons they never were at their best when younger so they might be able to get very close/swim PR's - especially if they are younger. People who started swimming as adults will be much more likely to see PR's (big ones at first and then smaller as they get faster). But even these people can have age/health issues that affect their ability to improve down the road. As a general rule - the newer to swimming you are + the more/better you train = bigger PR's (depending on the event - many seconds down to tenths of seconds).
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    I'm still into celebrating that Sumorunner. I just want to see people focusing on goals of some sort to keep them in. Trying new things or attempting new tweaks in their technique. I understand everyone's point. I would expect that the PR's mentioned not be in the youth years but in your older years. Even if you did 30-39 and then 40-49, at least it gives you an idea of what people do. It varies.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    Any PR is a good PR ;)