David Marsh - Consultant For Israeli Swimming

Former Member
Former Member
nm
  • I'm not sure logical questions are appropriate here. This guy appears to have a serious case of special sauce envy and likely won't be talked out of it by facts or logic. True. I WAS quite enjoying the Big Mac conversation.
  • And what good is a competition, if the playing field isn't somewhat level. It's no fun blowing out the other team all the time (or getting destroyed for that matter). ISTR the rationale way back when (60s? 70s?) for only allowing two swimmers per country per event was to blunt the depth of the US squad. Am I misremembering? I should note I'm fine with that. I don't want anyone to interpret my question as being in support of not sending Big Macs and Whoppers to Israel. :)
  • Did anyone consider that it might be the "sesame seed bun" and had nothing to do with the sauce? The secret sauce conclusion should be science based. There are lots of other variables that could have entered into USA swimming's dominance - like lettuce and pickles too.
  • my personal secret sauce is a starbucks dark roast coffee and classic oatmeal ... we'd better not be sending that anywhere !
  • Sport is not war, in fact BraunMan I think you are completly missing the idea of international sporting competition. It is that win at all cost ethos that drives actions like what the East Germans did decades ago and the current Russian doping scandal. Many years ago I was fortunate to play some international water polo and we were fortunate to have friendlies with many European teams and other countries from all over the globe. Those interactions are some of my best memories and the idea that we should never try and improve a sport by hiding "secrets" is absurd. New techniques are always being developed and if they work they never stay secret for long. I will always root for the USA but never at the expense of helping countries trying to develop their aquatic programs in an attempt to expose their athletes to competition at the highest level.
  • i googled "secret sauce" ... and here it is How do you make secret sauce?Ingredients 1/4 cup mayonnaise. 1 1/2 teaspoons spicy pickle juice. 1 1/2 teaspoons ketchup. 1 teaspoon yellow mustard. 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika. 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder. 1/4 teaspoon onion powder .......................................................................................................................................... so thats from the internet so it must be true ... and i thought it was coffee and oatmeal !
  • Get serious please. The exporting out of trade secrets in the sport and allowing other countries to copy us is a major issue. So is secret sauce. (As if anyone should take trolls seriously.)
  • Secret Sauce: Ma Junren and caterpillar fungus, 1993. Look it up.
  • We prosecute people who sell secrets when it comes to weapon technology. :lolup: Are you for real?! Please, do tell, how helping another country SWIM faster, threatens our way of life! If the US wins less medals, how many people will die? Go ahead and try explain yourself out of this one. I'll wait. Good grief. :doh:
  • No - I'm referring to our secret training regimens which are vastly superior to what others in the world know, or need to know. Marsh should help us keep our advantage, not sell them to the highest bidder. I'm pretty sure most of the top swimmers who attend college already do that here in the USA and have been immersed in our sauce for a long time. I think it's fine for a good coach to be paid a competitive salary to train swimmers anywhere in the world, it's a free enterprise system as far as I know. I doubt the USA would have all their Olympic Gold in Gymnastics if the Karyoli's had been locked up in Hungry with all the sauce or Valery Luiken as well. I'm pretty sure coaching has been working this way for a long time!