Noob: overweight and nervous for upcoming class

Former Member
Former Member
Hello, I'm brand new to swimming and I'm signed up for a class beginning next week. I just received in the mail: two jammer shorts that fit well (size 40 waist), two swim caps, and two sets of goggles that seem good. I'm not scared of the water but I am concerned about my body image. Will I be glared at or is it common to see fat people at the pool? I don't really see a practical/comfortable way to wear a 'shirt' to cover up my hairy chest and belly. Will I be committing any faux pas by showing my hairy chest and back? Should I even care? Thanks for any advice and encouragement :)
  • All body types swim.water never discriminates
  • There a lots of over weight people who use the pool for exercise because buoyancy reduces the stress on joints and provides a psychological advantage too. As lots of others have learned, a pool is a great place to get started. You're engine is water cooled - no hot sweaty spandex - and you can take it easy and enjoy the weightless feeling. Take your time - a little progress each practice.
  • I was puzzled when I was called "orca" early in swimming. I asked how that name came up - the reply was" You swim really fast for a big guy" Put into the pool the person you are , not the one someone else says you should be !!!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    thanks for the advice!
  • Hey Edude!! Congratulations for taking the plunge! Please don't worry about a thing as far as your body goes. Chances are you are your own worst critic anyway. I'd have to say my swimming friends are my favorite friends. You've got to love any adult who will show up for a swim practice wearing brief lycra and workout for 75-90 minutes with other like-minded humans. I think you'll find nothing but support and positive attitudes from the people you swim with; if that's not true I'd find another group. Have fun!!
  • Former Member
    Thought I'd add my two cents. I swim at the Y and one of our life guards is easily morbidly obese. But let me tell you, if I were were in a drowning situation, I want Karen (not her real name) to be the one on duty. She out swims all the other lifeguards hands down. The first time I saw her swim I was in total awe. She's fast, powerful and incredibly graceful at the same time. Her water endurance is off the chain. Those little skinny, mini lifeguards are always asking her for tips and advice, lol. If you've never seen her in the pool, and didn't understand that weight and size has nothing to do with being a profficient or even a great swimmer you might be inclined to be judgemental. I know I was at first so shame on me! Also, if she's self conscious about her size, you'd NEVER know it as she walks around the pool deck in her one piece swim suit. Every time I think of her confidence, I smile. You'll be just fine. Even if you are self conscious the first time you go, just act like you are and pretty soon you won't be and then you'll wonder why you were apprehensive in the first place.
  • Former Member
    Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! The first week of class has gone well, and as it turns out there is quite a variety of body shapes and fitness levels there. And I'm using muscles I didn't know existed! What I'm having hard time with now is exhaling through the nose underwater - I just can't seem to do it. But I have no issue exhaling through my mouth. Should I get a nose plug?
  • I agree with Sojerz, use your mouth. As time goes on you can move to the nose. Be patient and forgiving with yourself as you learn swimming skills. The most important thing in the water is to RELAX. If you are working a small problem too hard you will be tense. Swimming is chill and loose.
  • What I'm having hard time with now is exhaling through the nose underwater - I just can't seem to do it. But I have no issue exhaling through my mouth. Should I get a nose plug? I wouldn't worry too much about quickly learning to exhale through your nose. Exhaling through your mouth works, and you can adapt over time to exhaling through the nose.
  • The sooner you exhale from the nose the better you will become. Try to do this when it is calm water = by blowing out in a controlled manner for about 3 - 6 sec. to get the timing of swimming.