Noob: overweight and nervous for upcoming class

Former Member
Former Member
Hello, I'm brand new to swimming and I'm signed up for a class beginning next week. I just received in the mail: two jammer shorts that fit well (size 40 waist), two swim caps, and two sets of goggles that seem good. I'm not scared of the water but I am concerned about my body image. Will I be glared at or is it common to see fat people at the pool? I don't really see a practical/comfortable way to wear a 'shirt' to cover up my hairy chest and belly. Will I be committing any faux pas by showing my hairy chest and back? Should I even care? Thanks for any advice and encouragement :)
Parents
  • Hey Edude!! Congratulations for taking the plunge! Please don't worry about a thing as far as your body goes. Chances are you are your own worst critic anyway. I'd have to say my swimming friends are my favorite friends. You've got to love any adult who will show up for a swim practice wearing brief lycra and workout for 75-90 minutes with other like-minded humans. I think you'll find nothing but support and positive attitudes from the people you swim with; if that's not true I'd find another group. Have fun!!
  • Hey Edude!! Congratulations for taking the plunge! Please don't worry about a thing as far as your body goes. Chances are you are your own worst critic anyway. I'd have to say my swimming friends are my favorite friends. You've got to love any adult who will show up for a swim practice wearing brief lycra and workout for 75-90 minutes with other like-minded humans. I think you'll find nothing but support and positive attitudes from the people you swim with; if that's not true I'd find another group. Have fun!!
Children
No Data