Noob: overweight and nervous for upcoming class

Former Member
Former Member
Hello, I'm brand new to swimming and I'm signed up for a class beginning next week. I just received in the mail: two jammer shorts that fit well (size 40 waist), two swim caps, and two sets of goggles that seem good. I'm not scared of the water but I am concerned about my body image. Will I be glared at or is it common to see fat people at the pool? I don't really see a practical/comfortable way to wear a 'shirt' to cover up my hairy chest and belly. Will I be committing any faux pas by showing my hairy chest and back? Should I even care? Thanks for any advice and encouragement :)
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Thought I'd add my two cents. I swim at the Y and one of our life guards is easily morbidly obese. But let me tell you, if I were were in a drowning situation, I want Karen (not her real name) to be the one on duty. She out swims all the other lifeguards hands down. The first time I saw her swim I was in total awe. She's fast, powerful and incredibly graceful at the same time. Her water endurance is off the chain. Those little skinny, mini lifeguards are always asking her for tips and advice, lol. If you've never seen her in the pool, and didn't understand that weight and size has nothing to do with being a profficient or even a great swimmer you might be inclined to be judgemental. I know I was at first so shame on me! Also, if she's self conscious about her size, you'd NEVER know it as she walks around the pool deck in her one piece swim suit. Every time I think of her confidence, I smile. You'll be just fine. Even if you are self conscious the first time you go, just act like you are and pretty soon you won't be and then you'll wonder why you were apprehensive in the first place.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Thought I'd add my two cents. I swim at the Y and one of our life guards is easily morbidly obese. But let me tell you, if I were were in a drowning situation, I want Karen (not her real name) to be the one on duty. She out swims all the other lifeguards hands down. The first time I saw her swim I was in total awe. She's fast, powerful and incredibly graceful at the same time. Her water endurance is off the chain. Those little skinny, mini lifeguards are always asking her for tips and advice, lol. If you've never seen her in the pool, and didn't understand that weight and size has nothing to do with being a profficient or even a great swimmer you might be inclined to be judgemental. I know I was at first so shame on me! Also, if she's self conscious about her size, you'd NEVER know it as she walks around the pool deck in her one piece swim suit. Every time I think of her confidence, I smile. You'll be just fine. Even if you are self conscious the first time you go, just act like you are and pretty soon you won't be and then you'll wonder why you were apprehensive in the first place.
Children
No Data