Noob: overweight and nervous for upcoming class

Former Member
Former Member
Hello, I'm brand new to swimming and I'm signed up for a class beginning next week. I just received in the mail: two jammer shorts that fit well (size 40 waist), two swim caps, and two sets of goggles that seem good. I'm not scared of the water but I am concerned about my body image. Will I be glared at or is it common to see fat people at the pool? I don't really see a practical/comfortable way to wear a 'shirt' to cover up my hairy chest and belly. Will I be committing any faux pas by showing my hairy chest and back? Should I even care? Thanks for any advice and encouragement :)
  • Hey edude567! Congratulations on your new endeavor! It's always a little intimidating to try something new. I don't know about the particular class you've signed up for but I can't imagine that anyone will care about your weight or body hair. You will likely see all kinds of body types at the pool. Most of them - if they are thinking about this kind of thing at all - will be more worried about what they look like than what you look like. We all tend to worry more about ourselves than everyone else. You will definitely not be committing any faux pas by showing up at the pool. I think it's awesome you are trying something new. Go out there, have fun and don't worry about anyone else :)
  • Should I even care? Nope. You'd fit right in at the swimming classes at my club. Remember, you're lapping everybody who's sitting at home on the couch. Go for it! Get busy!
  • If there's one thing I've learned in my 35+ years of hanging around at pools its definitely that you'll see all shapes and sizes. And, with that said, I've never heard anyone say "he/she's too fat, skinny, tall, short, etc. to swim." Just focus on your objective and enjoy the exercise.
  • Remember, you're lapping everybody who's sitting at home on the couch. I like it! Made it my signature... :)
  • No..I never have any issues..everyone treats me like an athlete. I swam at a lot of different places. Just get in and do it..it's only that much better for you. good luck and enjoy!
  • As others said, just head for that swim class and have some fun! Everyone's nervous and self-conscious at first, so they won't be thinking of any supposed flaws of yours. They'll be thinking of their own. ;) Seriously, it's normal to be nervous at the start of anything new, including your first swim lesson. You'll be okay. One thought: before the lesson (even a day or two before if you have a chance), introduce yourself to the instructor, let her/ him know you're looking forward to taking lessons. It might even be worth letting the instructor know you're a bit nervous and ask her/him for any tips to help you relax and be ready to go. Do let us know how it goes!
  • Do this for yourself!! As an over weight swimmers myself, you are doing what is right for you, so do not worry about what others think. The skinny guy is in the same water as you. All body types swim.
  • Will wear swim shorts/and cover up as much as I can. Don't wear "swim shorts" unless you actually like them. After all, covering your skin in stretchy clothing will not disguise your size or shape. Just wear comfortable swimwear and enjoy yourself.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Thank you for posting this! I too am overweight (and as a lady with tons of cellulite,) so I am dreading my first class, but I know I need to do this.... Will wear swim shorts/and cover up as much as I can.
  • I like it! ... :) Thanks! But it's scarcely original. It comes from running ... google returns 468,000 hits ... :)