Noob: overweight and nervous for upcoming class

Former Member
Former Member
Hello, I'm brand new to swimming and I'm signed up for a class beginning next week. I just received in the mail: two jammer shorts that fit well (size 40 waist), two swim caps, and two sets of goggles that seem good. I'm not scared of the water but I am concerned about my body image. Will I be glared at or is it common to see fat people at the pool? I don't really see a practical/comfortable way to wear a 'shirt' to cover up my hairy chest and belly. Will I be committing any faux pas by showing my hairy chest and back? Should I even care? Thanks for any advice and encouragement :)
Parents
  • What I'm having hard time with now is exhaling through the nose underwater - I just can't seem to do it. But I have no issue exhaling through my mouth. Should I get a nose plug? I wouldn't worry too much about quickly learning to exhale through your nose. Exhaling through your mouth works, and you can adapt over time to exhaling through the nose.
  • What I'm having hard time with now is exhaling through the nose underwater - I just can't seem to do it. But I have no issue exhaling through my mouth. Should I get a nose plug? I wouldn't worry too much about quickly learning to exhale through your nose. Exhaling through your mouth works, and you can adapt over time to exhaling through the nose.
Children
No Data