Ocean swimming in Barcelona and Lisbon

Will be visiting Barcelona in early October and Lisbon towards the end of October. Would love to have a swim in the Mediterranean in Barcelona and the Atlantic in Lisbon. Any suggestions for a safe, clean and convenient beach to swim in either place?
  • Thanks Dan, I've read about the beaches within walking distance or a short bus/metro ride away from the old city. The water temperature should be fine at 21-22 and lifeguards will still be on duty. One guide I read said the cleaner beaches are the more northerly ones, which would include Marbella. I think if I went to Marbella I might end up not swimming! I've read that Caiscas and other beaches to the west of Lisbon are clean and easy to get to like you say. Apparently, no one in their right minds swims in the Tagus. The Algarve would be too far away. I really want to have an open-water workout but am looking for personal experience regarding good places close to those cities where it would be safe and, possibly, where the locals do their workouts. Anyone know about the swimming along the Costa de Caparica.
  • I was in the Rota area for a few weeks and just google mapped my way to decent swimming bay's within cycling distances
  • I'm here in Barcelona right now. Check out my blog (there should be a link in the footer). If you stay at the Hilton Diagonal del Mar, you're about a 5 min walk to the water. It is a close walk from the Maresme/Forum Metro or Tram stop. The beaches around Barceloneta are busier for people sunning, but I'm not sure how they are for actual swimming. I've seen many swimmers swimming in wetsuits, towing buoys. But I've been just swimming in a brief/goggles. Shoot me a PM if you need more info.
  • Thanks Aztimm, I just quickly looked at your blog. Looks like the kind of info I'm looking for. I might pm you after I read your posts more careful later in the day. Kainalunui
  • Hey Aztimm, Came across a group that meets weekly for ocean swims. www.meetup.com/.../
  • Although I've been on many beaches in Spain, and have been to Barcelona, I've never been to any of the beaches in the immediate vicinity of Barcelona (every time I've been to Barcelona is in winter). In general, I'd say you can't go wrong with any of the beaches in Spain. I lived in costal southern Spain for three years, and visited there several other times. I've never been to a "bad" one. But a quick Google search indicates that "Barceloneta" beach might be your best bet. It's just a 20 minute walk from the end of La Rambla. Perhaps Marbella Beach is more of what you're looking for. It's the 'unofficial' nude beach of Barcelona. I've been to Lisbon, but again not to any of the beaches in that vicinity. You'll likely have to travel a few miles to get to a descent beach as Lisbon mostly sits on an inner harbor...which I didn't think looked real inviting for swimming. The best beaches are about 15-20 miles away. And if you're going to go to that extent, I'd head south toward Algarve. Sorry I can't help more. Have fun. Dan
  • Hey Aztimm, Came across a group that meets weekly for ocean swims. www.meetup.com/.../ Thanks! I found that group last week. Maybe I'll meet with them today. It seems that if you head down to almost any beach, you'll find other swimmers. The lifeguards I've chatted with said that there's almost always people swimming, especially early/late in the day (just after sunrise/before sunset).
  • I was in the Rota area for a few weeks and just google mapped my way to decent swimming bay's within cycling distances Steve -- Are you Navy? Rota is where I was stationed (back in the early 90s). Lived out in Puerto de Santa Marie. Nice beaches there in the Rota area. Dan