Ocean swimming in Barcelona and Lisbon

Will be visiting Barcelona in early October and Lisbon towards the end of October. Would love to have a swim in the Mediterranean in Barcelona and the Atlantic in Lisbon. Any suggestions for a safe, clean and convenient beach to swim in either place?
Parents
  • Thanks Dan, I've read about the beaches within walking distance or a short bus/metro ride away from the old city. The water temperature should be fine at 21-22 and lifeguards will still be on duty. One guide I read said the cleaner beaches are the more northerly ones, which would include Marbella. I think if I went to Marbella I might end up not swimming! I've read that Caiscas and other beaches to the west of Lisbon are clean and easy to get to like you say. Apparently, no one in their right minds swims in the Tagus. The Algarve would be too far away. I really want to have an open-water workout but am looking for personal experience regarding good places close to those cities where it would be safe and, possibly, where the locals do their workouts. Anyone know about the swimming along the Costa de Caparica.
  • Thanks Dan, I've read about the beaches within walking distance or a short bus/metro ride away from the old city. The water temperature should be fine at 21-22 and lifeguards will still be on duty. One guide I read said the cleaner beaches are the more northerly ones, which would include Marbella. I think if I went to Marbella I might end up not swimming! I've read that Caiscas and other beaches to the west of Lisbon are clean and easy to get to like you say. Apparently, no one in their right minds swims in the Tagus. The Algarve would be too far away. I really want to have an open-water workout but am looking for personal experience regarding good places close to those cities where it would be safe and, possibly, where the locals do their workouts. Anyone know about the swimming along the Costa de Caparica.
Children
No Data