Ocean swimming in Barcelona and Lisbon

Will be visiting Barcelona in early October and Lisbon towards the end of October. Would love to have a swim in the Mediterranean in Barcelona and the Atlantic in Lisbon. Any suggestions for a safe, clean and convenient beach to swim in either place?
Parents
  • Although I've been on many beaches in Spain, and have been to Barcelona, I've never been to any of the beaches in the immediate vicinity of Barcelona (every time I've been to Barcelona is in winter). In general, I'd say you can't go wrong with any of the beaches in Spain. I lived in costal southern Spain for three years, and visited there several other times. I've never been to a "bad" one. But a quick Google search indicates that "Barceloneta" beach might be your best bet. It's just a 20 minute walk from the end of La Rambla. Perhaps Marbella Beach is more of what you're looking for. It's the 'unofficial' nude beach of Barcelona. I've been to Lisbon, but again not to any of the beaches in that vicinity. You'll likely have to travel a few miles to get to a descent beach as Lisbon mostly sits on an inner harbor...which I didn't think looked real inviting for swimming. The best beaches are about 15-20 miles away. And if you're going to go to that extent, I'd head south toward Algarve. Sorry I can't help more. Have fun. Dan
  • Although I've been on many beaches in Spain, and have been to Barcelona, I've never been to any of the beaches in the immediate vicinity of Barcelona (every time I've been to Barcelona is in winter). In general, I'd say you can't go wrong with any of the beaches in Spain. I lived in costal southern Spain for three years, and visited there several other times. I've never been to a "bad" one. But a quick Google search indicates that "Barceloneta" beach might be your best bet. It's just a 20 minute walk from the end of La Rambla. Perhaps Marbella Beach is more of what you're looking for. It's the 'unofficial' nude beach of Barcelona. I've been to Lisbon, but again not to any of the beaches in that vicinity. You'll likely have to travel a few miles to get to a descent beach as Lisbon mostly sits on an inner harbor...which I didn't think looked real inviting for swimming. The best beaches are about 15-20 miles away. And if you're going to go to that extent, I'd head south toward Algarve. Sorry I can't help more. Have fun. Dan
Children
No Data