Swim watch

Does anyone have a recommendation (or a warning) to share about a swim watch? I'm looking for something to help me count distance and/or strokes. I'm thinking about the Garmin Swim. I have the Garmin Forerunner (for running) and am pretty happy with it.
  • Just want to bump this to see if anyone has yet tried the Samsung Fit 2 pro. Its been out a few months, now. It is on sale for $150. I tried to look at one at my local Best Buy, but it wasn't working. Going to look at another store, hopefully later today. But hoping someone may have some good feedback.
  • What is your swim watch of choice then? Maybe I didn't think through what I actually wanted out of this watch, but I found the Garmin Swim to be nothing more than a glorified waterproof watch. You might be seeking different things, but here's what I found. The stroke counting mechanism works fine enough for fly and ***, but not for free or back since it can only count strokes for one arm. So, if I was swimming free and had the watch on, the watch might read "5" at the end of a length, but that could mean I took 9, 10 or 11 single arm strokes. That data for free and back, therefore, is meaningless to me. The lap counting mechanism works fine, but I don't ever do long straight swims where I would lose count and, if I did lose count, glancing at the pace clock while pushing off the wall is easier and less disruptive to my swim than trying to read the small watch face. The "which stroke was I swimming" identification was suspect The downloaded data (and I am a data geek) was less useful than my memory or, if I was going to do something complex, a pencil and an $11 diving slate by the side of the pool. The one place it came in handy was on the odd times when I dropped into lap swim at a pool without a pace clock. But, then it really just turned into a small pace clock I wrapped around my water bottle.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    One word: Moov Now :) It has a very low profile and records tons of stuff. You need to sync the device to your phone and results won't be visible until after your workout but there is tons of data there. I have found it to be very accurate and reliable. If it stops working be sure the check the battery. This happened to me and it took some time to figure that out.
  • Former Member
    I personally use a Garmin Swim and can find no fault with it. An added bonus is that you can upload the workout for Discovery points
  • Former Member
    I personally like my Garmin fitness tracker. I like that because it monitor my mileage, average pace and personal best times. I've been using the Garmin Swim for a couple of months and I like it very much. It counts laps perfectly, there are lots of product in market right now. but Garmin is old brand. it monitors all fitness activity like heart rate pulse. when you workout it can help to monitor your every step to burn your calory. it sends all data to your apps. now a days Fitbit is the popular one. i can find some cools stuff in some swim activity tracker you also look best waterproof fitness tracker
  • I am in the market for a new swim watch. I have the Garmin Swim but I don't really use it. I found the lap count inaccurate and completely useless for kick sets. I am looking for a swim watch with GPS which will also serve me in open water swims. I recently saw the Suunto Spartan. This is a multi sport watch and I was impressed. Does anybody use this watch? What about the Garmin Forerunner 735XT? Other recommendations?
  • I started with the Garmin Swim, loved it. The lap count was extremely accurate for me and for kick sets, I use the drill mode. I then started doing open water swims and wanted to track them my route, so I switched to the Garmin Forerunner 735XT. I love it too. I find that the lap count is not as accurate, it's usually missing another 25y. I don't know how accurate the GPS is, but it sure is fun looking at your path online. I also use the smart notifications feature of it, so email/text alerts makes my watch vibrate. I am always in meetings at work, so I need it to be on vibrate mode or silent mode. The vibration is super strong on this watch, so strong that you can hear it. And it took a while to shut off all sounds. The reaction time is slower too, compared to the garmin swim. With the swim, I was able to start the timer and immediately swim off. But it does pause when I accidentally hit my watch against the lane lines. With the forerunner, I have to wait 2 sec after starting the timer to make sure it does go off but I haven't had it pause on me when I hit the lane lines. I don't use the other features of the watch. I like that I was able to customize the face of the watch like the other smart watches out there. I used to also have a samsung gear2 as my regular smart watch. I had to charge it every night. But I replaced it with the forerunner as well, and I have to charge it once a week and usually it charges within a couple of hours.
  • I love my Apple Watch 3. Of course it’s the only swim watch I’ve used:) It does offer auto splits 50,100 etc. You won’t get heart rate for specific splits or sets. I’m sure the data is there somewhere? I use it mainly for general yardage and avg heart rate for an overall workout. My goal is to keep my average HR for each workout. The only issue I have with it is that it misses some of the yardage for sets that include kicking.
  • I am in the market for a new swim watch. I have the Garmin Swim but I don't really use it. I found the lap count inaccurate and completely useless for kick sets. I am looking for a swim watch with GPS which will also serve me in open water swims. I recently saw the Suunto Spartan. This is a multi sport watch and I was impressed. Does anybody use this watch? What about the Garmin Forerunner 735XT? Other recommendations? I L O V E my garmin forerunner 735XT. It goes with me everywhere, swim (open water and pool - and all kinds of sets in the pool too with the "drill log" setting), biking, running, hiking, step counter, etc. I like the wrist heart rate calculator for non-swim activities and it pairs easily with bluetooth HRMs for swimming. The face is really customizable for the different activities, so you can either see a lot of data at once or less data and bigger numbers if you're just doing a long distance set. It's always on my wrist.
  • Maybe I just had bad luck. At first I really loved the Garmin Swim. But after having one leak and ruin the watch, I bought another one. Had the battery replaced by a professional only to have the battery leak and compromise the watch again. I am now considering the Fitbit, Versa or Ionic. Maybe even an Apple watch. I'm a bit paranoid now.