Swim watch

Does anyone have a recommendation (or a warning) to share about a swim watch? I'm looking for something to help me count distance and/or strokes. I'm thinking about the Garmin Swim. I have the Garmin Forerunner (for running) and am pretty happy with it.
Parents
  • Here is a review: www.macrumors.com/.../ I feel the HR tracker is surprisingly reasonable (I say "surprisingly" because I didn't expect it to work well at all), though I've heard others who use it for running and cycling say that it is consistently low. The distance/laps tracker is not reliable at all for pool swimming. Besides not working for kicking, if you have any kind of underwater kick then it will significantly under-estimate the yardage. But if you just do freestyle back and forth it is probably fine. I feel like the calories tracking is a little low too. I've always liked the AW as a general-purpose device and I'm glad they added a swim workout to it. But I'm not very obsessive when it comes to fitness tracking; if you want to depend on a watch for serious tracking, I'd go elsewhere. As the review said, it would probably work well for OW swimming (and it has built-in GPS). I agree with most everything you said. For something I wanted anyway, it is nice to be able to track swim workouts too. Now that I've had it a few more months, I've played around with it even more, and I stand by my earlier review, with these additions: * It does give 100 splits, but you don't control anything. So if you swim 3000 yards, it will give you 30 splits, and includes any rest, kick sets, etc. * It tracks stroke. Mine is either, "freestyle," or, "mixed." I guess I should do an entire set of breaststroke and see what happens :afraid: I was actually going to say it over-calculates swim calories :banana: For a 500 in the gym pool holding a 1:30/100 pace it will give me about 100 cal. That's about 20 cal more than it gives me for a similar time of running...but then again, I'm just building back my running. The HR seems about right for me. I've been on beta blockers since a procedure in late October and I noticed an immediate change in my resting HR (lower). I don't often look, but you can view the HR through the Apple Health app, and it is interesting to see the ranges throughout the day (when I wear the watch at least).
  • Here is a review: www.macrumors.com/.../ I feel the HR tracker is surprisingly reasonable (I say "surprisingly" because I didn't expect it to work well at all), though I've heard others who use it for running and cycling say that it is consistently low. The distance/laps tracker is not reliable at all for pool swimming. Besides not working for kicking, if you have any kind of underwater kick then it will significantly under-estimate the yardage. But if you just do freestyle back and forth it is probably fine. I feel like the calories tracking is a little low too. I've always liked the AW as a general-purpose device and I'm glad they added a swim workout to it. But I'm not very obsessive when it comes to fitness tracking; if you want to depend on a watch for serious tracking, I'd go elsewhere. As the review said, it would probably work well for OW swimming (and it has built-in GPS). I agree with most everything you said. For something I wanted anyway, it is nice to be able to track swim workouts too. Now that I've had it a few more months, I've played around with it even more, and I stand by my earlier review, with these additions: * It does give 100 splits, but you don't control anything. So if you swim 3000 yards, it will give you 30 splits, and includes any rest, kick sets, etc. * It tracks stroke. Mine is either, "freestyle," or, "mixed." I guess I should do an entire set of breaststroke and see what happens :afraid: I was actually going to say it over-calculates swim calories :banana: For a 500 in the gym pool holding a 1:30/100 pace it will give me about 100 cal. That's about 20 cal more than it gives me for a similar time of running...but then again, I'm just building back my running. The HR seems about right for me. I've been on beta blockers since a procedure in late October and I noticed an immediate change in my resting HR (lower). I don't often look, but you can view the HR through the Apple Health app, and it is interesting to see the ranges throughout the day (when I wear the watch at least).
Children
No Data