Training SCY for LCM races

Hello all, I train at UC (Cincinnati), and I train hard every day. The problem is (at least I think it's a problem) that long course is only available three days a week out of the seven that I swim. My question is, what kinds of swims do I do in yards that could condition my body for the stresses of long course races? I swim all breaststroke distances (prefer the 50 and 100, but the 200 is probably my best), and sprint freestyle (just the 50 at nationals). I am doing a lot of sprint work and kick work which I think will benefit my 50 and 100 breaststroke and freestyle, but I am a little worried that I won't be aerobically ready for the 200 when it is time to race. Simply speaking :P, there are just too many turns in a 200 yard breaststroke to mimic one set in LCM. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it! Thanks! Alex M.
  • I am trying to arrange a group from Dallas, Tx, straddling to the Europeans next May ... Are US swimmers eligible to swim in this meet? euroaquatics2016.london/.../
  • Do I have to be European to compete at the LEN European Masters Championships 2016?

No, but you must be have been under the jurisdiction of one or several European clubs for at least twelve (12) months.

I am not a member of a club but still want to compete at the LEN European Masters Championships 2016. Can I?

Competitors shall be eligible for a club either affiliated to a Member Federation or affiliated to a Federation registered by LEN.

Entries shall be confirmed and submitted by the Federation in the name of the club to which the competitor belongs.

• So ... Are US swimmers eligible to swim in this meet? That sounds like "no" to me. Is that how it sounds to you?
  • So ... Are US swimmers eligible to swim in this meet? That sounds like "no" to me. Is that how it sounds to you? So anyone FINA registered anywhere can swim in a USMS meet, but only European registered swimmers can swim in this meet?
  • So anyone FINA registered anywhere can swim in a USMS meet, but only European registered swimmers can swim in this meet? That's why I want to be careful. :can of worms: I've written an email to the address given by Jayhawk above. Still waiting on reply.
  • sorry all you us swimmers, but london is only for european. I am in an airport, typing on my phone. I can't copy/paste the reply I got from London right now. But yeah. Only for Europeans. There is one loophole. You could be a US resident and a member of a European club. But you have to be a member for 12 months. Since London is less than 12 months away, it's already too late to try that trick. Dagnabbit.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Its like Olympia for masters but without the usa :) euroaquatics2016.london/.../ sorry all you us swimmers, but london is only for european. But dont worry you have the chance 2017 at budapest worlds to swim in europe.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Shame, I was about to suggest a nice club for you to join ;-). As it is the same organisation that manages the senior European championships they are just trying to maintain some consistency. The big difference being that you don't represent your country, but your club. I am in an airport, typing on my phone. I can't copy/paste the reply I got from London right now. But yeah. Only for Europeans. There is one loophole. You could be a US resident and a member of a European club. But you have to be a member for 12 months. Since London is less than 12 months away, it's already too late to try that trick. Dagnabbit.
  • That stinks! I guess I read the affiliation rule as any club whose parent was registered with FINA. Seems odd that anyone can compete at USMS but the reciprocal is not true in Europe. I wonder if the 1 year rule applies to Europeans who are only now starting to swim?
  • Although we've gone somewhat off-topic: The point of comparison is with our Nationals, for which you must be registered with an Amateur Swimming Association (or Scottish / Welsh equivalent) OR a club from any FINA affiliated federation. Which I'm not sure USMS is, although perhaps clubs that are registered with USMS are also registered with USA Swimming? The point is that the Europeans are a European Championship. Otherwise it would be the World Championship. I guess you don't have an pan-American Masters Championship or anything? Incidentally, I thought that you had to be registered with USMS to compete at Nationals but it isn't clear from the rules. You can't enter a relay team from a non-USMS team, though... I I agree we have gone off topic and will stop after this post. I am from the uk with dual nationality. I live and swim in the US. the team I swim for is registered with USMS which is a FINA member. US Masters is very inclusive and allows foreign swimmers either join US teams or enter under there foreign team. PanAms allow anyone from any team affiliated with FINA enter. From the sounds of things UK Masters is the same however European masters seems the anomaly. Frustrating but it is what it is.