Training SCY for LCM races

Hello all, I train at UC (Cincinnati), and I train hard every day. The problem is (at least I think it's a problem) that long course is only available three days a week out of the seven that I swim. My question is, what kinds of swims do I do in yards that could condition my body for the stresses of long course races? I swim all breaststroke distances (prefer the 50 and 100, but the 200 is probably my best), and sprint freestyle (just the 50 at nationals). I am doing a lot of sprint work and kick work which I think will benefit my 50 and 100 breaststroke and freestyle, but I am a little worried that I won't be aerobically ready for the 200 when it is time to race. Simply speaking :P, there are just too many turns in a 200 yard breaststroke to mimic one set in LCM. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it! Thanks! Alex M.
  • I'm sorry you feel that way,that has certainly not been my experience.I agree that racing LCM is a totally different from racing SC,but my experience is that with a little creativity I can be prepared for LCM races.
  • I'm sorry you feel that way,that has certainly not been my experience.I agree that racing LCM is a totally different from racing SC,but my experience is that with a little creativity I can be prepared for LCM races. I totally agree with Allen. I've never ever done a single LCM practice (for lack of opportunity) but at the 2013 LCM nationals, I won three events in my age group. I find that SCY is more than adequate preparation for me to compete very well in LCM and open water. I do a lot of open water races too and consistently place quite well at them, often winning my age group or even winning the entire event, yet I haven't done an open water "practice" swim in nearly 2 years (I only get in the open water to race now, not to train). I think it really comes down to where your strengths lie and what you need to work on. For me, I don't have any problem with endurance or finding a rhythm for swimming long distances. But I do have problems controlling my breath out of turns, so I focus on improving that aspect of my swimming. Figure out what your weaknesses are and then work on improving them.
  • I'm sorry you feel that way,that has certainly not been my experience.I agree that racing LCM is a totally different from racing SC,but my experience is that with a little creativity I can be prepared for LCM races. Yeah, I would say your "little creativity" has paid off! MartinK, King Frog (Allen Stark) has proven his statement by breaking a WORLD record in Montreal at the World Championships. It was his second; the first was at Auburn Nationals in 2011.
  • Very cool that you even have access to long course. Keep doing what you are doing and don't sweat the small stuff
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    . My question is, what kinds of swims do I do in yards that could condition my body for the stresses of long course races? Alex M. I think threre is no point. You HAVE to train long course to swim better there. The many turns of the short course just kill your ability to stay long, smooth and develope a specific style suited for long course. Because your frequency and distance per stroke are different in the short course. In the short course you have every 15-20 seconds turn overs, you have underwater kicks, your speed and water-movements are changing everytime. You can't say I am going to train short course and getteing better at LCM because these are two different worlds.
  • Thanks, Stevepowell. I couldn't find that. But it doesn't clearly answer the question, which can now be rephrased as, Is USMS "a Member Federation or affiliated to a Federation registered by LEN"? I guess I should just ask USMS!
  • Is USMS "a Member Federation or affiliated to a Federation registered by LEN"?No
  • Former Member
    - Here is their FAQ page: euroaquatics2016.london/.../ Do I have to be European to compete at the LEN European Masters Championships 2016? No, but you must be have been under the jurisdiction of one or several European clubs for at least twelve (12) months. I am not a member of a club but still want to compete at the LEN European Masters Championships 2016. Can I? Competitors shall be eligible for a club either affiliated to a Member Federation or affiliated to a Federation registered by LEN. Entries shall be confirmed and submitted by the Federation in the name of the club to which the competitor belongs. LEN Rules: In addition to the LEN General Event Rules the following REGULATIONS shall apply: www.len.eu/.../22 EUROPEAN MASTERS CHAMPIONSHIPS IN SWIMMING DIVING SYNCHRONISED SWIMMING AND OPEN WATER SWIMMING.aspx MA-G 2 Entries and Entry Fees MA-G 2.1 Competitors shall be eligible for a club either affiliated to a Member Federation or affiliated to a Federation registered by LEN. MA-G 2.2 Entries shall be confirmed and submitted by the Federation in the name of the club to which the competitor belongs. MA-G 2.3 Any competitor having represented a non-European Club shall not represent a European club unless he has been under the jurisdiction of one or several European clubs for at least twelve (12) months. MA-G 2.4 Entries, including signed Release of Liability by every competitor, shall be sent to the Organising Committee together with one photo (passport size). MA-G 2.5 The deadline for the submission of entries and the payment of the entry fees shall be no later than the date announced by the LEN Office. MA-G 2.6 Entry fees shall be as decided by the LEN Bureau and circulated by the Organising Committee. MA-G 2.7 Entry fees shall be paid to the Organising Committee. Confirmation of payment shall be attached to the entries. MA-G 2.8 There shall be no refund of entry fees. - The email address for additional inquiries is: aquatics2016@swimming.org -
  • As the Europeans are in London next year I'm planning to swim LC next year so will try to put my theory into practice! I am trying to arrange a group from Dallas, Tx, straddling to the Europeans next May. The dates are not the best with kids still in school but it feels like a great opportunity to compete in an awesome facility. Hope to see you there!
  • Former Member
    I don't think that training short course is an issue - and as has been pointed out can be a benefit (better turns) if used well. I think that racing short course, particularly SCY, can hide a multitude of sins (lack of fitness) and the important thing is to have done the work. I've struggled long course in the past, especially over 200 ***, but it's not through a lack of long course training. As the Europeans are in London next year I'm planning to swim LC next year so will try to put my theory into practice!