Faking a swim

I recently read an article or comment on SwimSwam where someone mentioned the term 'faking a swim'. As I understand it, it usually implies a swimmer swims and trains for events X and Y well but, due to previous training history, natural ability, or effects from training for events X & Y they can put up a respectable time in event Z. I've heard it before but would be interested in hearing others thoughts on what qualifies as faking a swim, what enables a swimmer to do so etc... Not looking for insight on how to personally accomplish one.
  • I was our team's top 200 breaststroker in college. We had a really good 200 flyer who also swam the 100 and 400IM/500 free. At a regular season meet my sophomore year, she hopped in and beat me in the 200 ***. I've never heard the term 'faking a swim' but as you described it that is totally what happened. I would attribute it mostly to training history, as she never swam much *** at practice but came from a pretty tough club in Kansas where I'm sure there was a lot of IM and stroke work. She was also a workhorse, so her distance and 200 fly training gave her the endurance to pound out a good 200 ***. She never swam it tapered and I don't think she would have beat me then, but it gave me a good scare mid-season :)
  • as she never swam much *** at practice but came from a pretty tough club in Kansas where I'm sure there was a lot of IM and stroke work. well back in the day there was only 2 clubs in kansas that this could be - wichita swim club and kc blazers. for a short period of time (we shall call it the john weckler years) wsc won it all. otherwise, pete malone and his kc blazers dominated and pete put quite a few people on the olympic teams. if i was gonna bet ice cream, it would be she swam for kc blazers and yes would have a fantastic background.
  • Oooo, good guess!! We did have a Blazer, but this girl came from Topeka Swim Association. She grew up with a girl from there that went on to pretty big Trials and NCAA success, so not a slacker team. But you're right, those Blazer kids were TOUGH!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    dan - that is exactly what it is. an example from my experience was back in college we had a 200 IM'er that trained for the 200 back and 200 IM, yet at conference he would be put on the 200 free relay because he could do a 20.4 which was faster than most of our sprinters. its basically being able to do an event (very well) without training for it.
  • well back in the day there was only 2 clubs in kansas that this could be - wichita swim club and kc blazers. for a short period of time (we shall call it the john weckler years) wsc won it all. otherwise, pete malone and his kc blazers dominated and pete put quite a few people on the olympic teams. if i was gonna bet ice cream, it would be she swam for kc blazers and yes would have a fantastic background. Oooo, good guess!! We did have a Blazer, but this girl came from Topeka Swim Association. She grew up with a girl from there that went on to pretty big Trials and NCAA success, so not a slacker team. But you're right, those Blazer kids were TOUGH! No Blue Bell Mocha Almond Fudge for you, sunruh. Sorry. :sad:
  • I had the worst luck... distance freestyler... nice fly but not quick enough for the 100... come long meet format in college, guess who was stuck with the 1000, 400 IM, and 200 fly? Sounds like my college swim experience - dual meets 1000 free, 200 IM, 200 fly Big meets 1650, 400 IM, and 200 fly. One meet coach through me in 100 back because there were less than 16 entries. I can't claim to have faked the swim because the time was not very good! Did score points
  • Never have I heard the term"fake a swim" in relation to swimming an event that you did not train for. I hear it in not doing something that you claim to have done. Maybe that term came from people that watched the movie "50 shades of swimming"
  • There's a guy in my Masters swim group who is considerably younger, but only a tad faster than I am. We start at the same time and do the same workout, but he is always "finished" and out of the pool long before I am. Is that "faking a swim"? Dan
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    i think TSA has only ever had 1 fast guy (glenn t) and certainly this girl but she must have been way after i left kansas. sunruh, did you grow up in Kansas? Where? I grew up in the KC area. Didn't swim as a kid but swam with the Blazers Masters for many years and got to see Pete Malone in action every evening on the pool deck (the kids swam right before we did). I thought the same thing when I read the post by Tetleysfam - that it had to be one of Pete's swimmers!
  • dan, uh no. "faking a swim" - as i have always understood, it is exactly as what Tetley said....not training for an event and then throwing down a very good time. i cant do this. i know some that can, but its not me. i have no natural talent or ability. i'm just a sword (or plowshare) that's been beaten into that form by thousands of miles of training. some are naturally gifted...the rest of us have to suck it up the hard way. i think TSA has only ever had 1 fast guy (glenn t) and certainly this girl but she must have been way after i left kansas.