Faking a swim

I recently read an article or comment on SwimSwam where someone mentioned the term 'faking a swim'. As I understand it, it usually implies a swimmer swims and trains for events X and Y well but, due to previous training history, natural ability, or effects from training for events X & Y they can put up a respectable time in event Z. I've heard it before but would be interested in hearing others thoughts on what qualifies as faking a swim, what enables a swimmer to do so etc... Not looking for insight on how to personally accomplish one.
Parents
  • I had the worst luck... distance freestyler... nice fly but not quick enough for the 100... come long meet format in college, guess who was stuck with the 1000, 400 IM, and 200 fly? Sounds like my college swim experience - dual meets 1000 free, 200 IM, 200 fly Big meets 1650, 400 IM, and 200 fly. One meet coach through me in 100 back because there were less than 16 entries. I can't claim to have faked the swim because the time was not very good! Did score points
  • I had the worst luck... distance freestyler... nice fly but not quick enough for the 100... come long meet format in college, guess who was stuck with the 1000, 400 IM, and 200 fly? Sounds like my college swim experience - dual meets 1000 free, 200 IM, 200 fly Big meets 1650, 400 IM, and 200 fly. One meet coach through me in 100 back because there were less than 16 entries. I can't claim to have faked the swim because the time was not very good! Did score points
Children
No Data