Faking a swim

I recently read an article or comment on SwimSwam where someone mentioned the term 'faking a swim'. As I understand it, it usually implies a swimmer swims and trains for events X and Y well but, due to previous training history, natural ability, or effects from training for events X & Y they can put up a respectable time in event Z. I've heard it before but would be interested in hearing others thoughts on what qualifies as faking a swim, what enables a swimmer to do so etc... Not looking for insight on how to personally accomplish one.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    The first time to hear faking swim:bow:
  • Former Member
    I had the worst luck... distance freestyler... nice fly but not quick enough for the 100... come long meet format in college, guess who was stuck with the 1000, 400 IM, and 200 fly?
  • sunruh, did you grow up in Kansas? Where? I grew up in the KC area. Didn't swim as a kid but swam with the Blazers Masters for many years and got to see Pete Malone in action every evening on the pool deck (the kids swam right before we did). I thought the same thing when I read the post by Tetleysfam - that it had to be one of Pete's swimmers! oh yes. started at age 7 with wichita y neptunes under babs johnson. then quickly moved up internal teams to be under bruce swartz. made nag top 10 at age 10 and kept on improving. at age 12 switched to wichita swim club for 1 year under benton peugh and swam with famous jayhawker ron neugent (aka "the old man") and then with john weckler (who got ron onto the 1980 olympic team in the 1500...because he was scared of "the kid" running him down hahaha!). after weckler left then it was 1 year of john arrington. summer of '83 i then went to MVN under mark and scott and of course '84 under mark and terry, '85 mark and terry, '86 terry and asher and same for '87. if it was a guy (and some of the fast girls) from the '70s-80s in kansas...i know them. some from oklahoma, nebraska, missourri as well. and yes i have known pete malone since he started at kc blazers...dang i think that was '76? his afro was MUCH bigger back then!!! i just laughed thinking about it.
  • Former Member
    I can fake swims really well. Lol.
  • Former Member
    Faking a swim.. hmm, I'd just call it being very talented.