Faking a swim

I recently read an article or comment on SwimSwam where someone mentioned the term 'faking a swim'. As I understand it, it usually implies a swimmer swims and trains for events X and Y well but, due to previous training history, natural ability, or effects from training for events X & Y they can put up a respectable time in event Z. I've heard it before but would be interested in hearing others thoughts on what qualifies as faking a swim, what enables a swimmer to do so etc... Not looking for insight on how to personally accomplish one.
Parents
  • I was our team's top 200 breaststroker in college. We had a really good 200 flyer who also swam the 100 and 400IM/500 free. At a regular season meet my sophomore year, she hopped in and beat me in the 200 ***. I've never heard the term 'faking a swim' but as you described it that is totally what happened. I would attribute it mostly to training history, as she never swam much *** at practice but came from a pretty tough club in Kansas where I'm sure there was a lot of IM and stroke work. She was also a workhorse, so her distance and 200 fly training gave her the endurance to pound out a good 200 ***. She never swam it tapered and I don't think she would have beat me then, but it gave me a good scare mid-season :)
  • I was our team's top 200 breaststroker in college. We had a really good 200 flyer who also swam the 100 and 400IM/500 free. At a regular season meet my sophomore year, she hopped in and beat me in the 200 ***. I've never heard the term 'faking a swim' but as you described it that is totally what happened. I would attribute it mostly to training history, as she never swam much *** at practice but came from a pretty tough club in Kansas where I'm sure there was a lot of IM and stroke work. She was also a workhorse, so her distance and 200 fly training gave her the endurance to pound out a good 200 ***. She never swam it tapered and I don't think she would have beat me then, but it gave me a good scare mid-season :)
Children
No Data