Will you reach your FLOG goal this year?

I am getting close to my goal of 500 miles for this year at 68 1/2 years old. Are you going to get to the goal you set last Jan. ? I have lost 13 pounds along the way.I'm still too fat, but working on it!
  • I had set mine to 500, but I'm not going to make it this year. With being shutdown from May till late August due to health reasons, I'm just glad to be back in the water again.
  • I should... After this morning's workout I was at 599, and my goal is 650. Unless this darn cold I'm fighting keeps me away from the water, I should make it!
  • Don't have access to FLOG, so no annual mileage goals. I'm happy about that because otherwise I could feel tensed about missing my goal. Nevertheless 500 miles mark is behind already. I assume I can make about 560 in case I stay healthy. But that was not the purpose - most of all I'm happy that I could decrease my PB by 2 sec on 200m breaststroke SCM. I would be happy to achieve this by swimming around 300 miles a year instead of 500. I've read articles by Rushall but I cannot imagine swimming at a race pace all year round :bolt:. Usually I have 2 taper meets a year and about 2 months before them things are getting really tough. At other periods I work on other things like stroke technique and endurance. I believe this approach protects me from burnout. Logging my workouts and times helps to track the annual progress.
  • I set my goal at 800 miles. GTD says I'm 16 miles ahead of the necessary pace. I should make it but pool availability during Thanksgiving and Christmas may start cutting into the cushion I have.
  • Try to figure out the miles needed/day to adjust the yards needed/ workout. I will make it to 500 if i keep at my current swims at 2 pools / day at times.
  • Lets see 1,000,000 meters in 52 weeks would be about how many meters per week????
  • I'm confident you can handle the math.
  • No way - not even close. Bone surgery last December kept me out of commission until March and a couple of broken bones in my left hand kept me out for three weeks in May. What a crappy year.
  • I've set a goal of 500 for the past 3-4 years and made it every year. So far I'm at 477 miles, so barring illness/injury, I should definitely make it. Rather early too. I usually cut it fairly close. Someone on my team and I chatted about this after workout this morning. He said he'd like to get to 600. I told him that if I really wanted to I certainly could. But it seems that vacations, biz travel, and then at least 1 illness/injury seem to get in the way. The gym pool is available nearly 24/7 (a bit more limited on weekends), but I really don't like swimming there. We also chatted about the merits of the whole FLOG/mileage goal in the first place. I said how it gives me motivation to get out of bed and swim, especially in the winter here. It can get chilly, and swimming outside on cold, dark mornings don't always sound good when you're in a nice warm bed. Very few people in my workout group swim in meets, yet most of us use the FLOG or some sort of mileage goals for motivation.
  • It can get chilly, and swimming outside on cold, dark mornings don't always sound good when you're in a nice warm bed. :lolup::lolup::rofl: The fact that you CAN swim outside in "winter" should be motivation enough! I had a hard time this morning convincing myself to get up and go out this morning in 12 degrees.