Recommend a watch to use for interval training in pool

Hi, I work out on my own at a pool that does not have a pace clock. I'd like to get a waterproof watch for my swimming practices so that I can work in some interval training. Does anyone use one that they can recommend? I'd something that is simple to use and not too expensive. Are there particular features that you've found very useful during your practices? Thanks!
  • I have a Garmin as well. (I actually got it because my Timex Ironman kept dying.) It has a setting - called "rest timer" - that allows it to work especially well as a pace clock. You just have to remember to press a button at the start and stop of each repeat.
  • Timex have a history of leaking, fogging, and bands breaking. Which ones are best for swimming and not leaking? I've had the Timex Ironman Triathlon for about three years and keep it on always. I use it in pools, lakes, and gym. The numbers are big and its relatively easy to use. I read the same stuff about it and was a little hesitant, but the price is low, so even if it didn't work it didn't seem like I'd over invested. In three years of continuous use it hasn't leaked, fogged, and the band hasn't broken. Still on the same battery too. In the pool I just let in run in "chrono" mode most of the time - like a digital pace clock, but it does have a limited memory that will record and allow one to recover times. I use it in my lake swims to record lap times around the course and the ri between laps. It is a little harder to read treading water out in the lake and to remember the lap times.
  • I concur with the TIMEX Ironman recommendations above. I've used them for decades and love them. Additionally, it's been my experience that TIMEX has great customer service. If the watch is under warranty they will fix or replace it for free (providing you have it registered on their website). I had to do this once. Not wanting to be without my watch for two weeks or more...they sent me a loaner. And they provided pre-paid packaging for all shipping. The other time the watch wasn't under warranty. In that case, If they can't fix it, they will sell you a new one for something like half MSRP. The key to keeping water out of it...or just about any waterproof watch with push buttons...is to NOT push the buttons under water. Otherwise...work well. Last long time. Dan
  • I have a Speedo watch that has a programmable interval timer, with up to 10 sub-intervals in a cycle. It also has an option to beep, vibrate, or both. I set it for both, and wear it with the face on the inside of my wrist which is more sensitive to the vibration. For distance training, I set it to repeat the targeted pace per 25. I know I should hear/feel the beep/vibration as I'm streamlining off the turn. For shorter race-pace sets, I set an interval for the targeted touch time, followed by another for the rest time. I know I should feel the vibration on my wrist just after I touch the wall. I then watch the count down on the watch face, duck under when there's ~2 seconds left, and push off as soon as I hear the beep. Unfortunately, this model has been discontinued, and none of the newer Speedo watches that I've seen have the same feature set. I don't know what I'm gonna do when this one finally gives up the ghost. :(
  • Thanks. Which model do you have? I'm thinking to get the t5k692 or t5h581 as they have 38mm faces, i.e. not too big. I can't find the model no. on my watch and when I checked out the Timex website it looks like they have all new models. Mine is called a Timex Ironman Triathlon 10 Lap, which doesn't seem to exist anymore. I looks like the t5h581 but seems pretty much the same as the other watch you posted too. The outside diameter of my watch measures about 38mm and the actual inside face measures about 24 mm. I got it at a local running store so I could see it and check it out.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I read the same stuff about it and was a little hesitant, but the price is low, so even if it didn't work it didn't seem like I'd over invested. In three years of continuous use it hasn't leaked, fogged, and the band hasn't broken. Still on the same battery too. Thanks. Which model do you have? I'm thinking to get the t5k692 or t5h581 as they have 38mm faces, i.e. not too big.
  • Former Member
    Thank you for the helpful comments. I've ordered the T5K823 model, for $20 on Ebay.
  • Former Member
    I use the Timex Ironman.Practically indestructible and easy to use. Timex have a history of leaking, fogging, and bands breaking. Which ones are best for swimming and not leaking?
  • Former Member
    The Timex Ironman has a nice display, but no memory. It keeps only the last interval splits until reset, nothing else. The watch is no use to me, and I passed it to a friend. In the meantime, I've discovered my kitchen timer on a small stand at the end of the lane is much easier to see than a watch, and quite useful along with my casio. 10831