Recommend a watch to use for interval training in pool

Hi, I work out on my own at a pool that does not have a pace clock. I'd like to get a waterproof watch for my swimming practices so that I can work in some interval training. Does anyone use one that they can recommend? I'd something that is simple to use and not too expensive. Are there particular features that you've found very useful during your practices? Thanks!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Tempo trainer pro...
  • I second Allen's recommendation of a Timex Ironman. Very inexpensive (under $35), easy to use, and lasts forever. You can use the timer function for interval training.
  • Watches: I have trouble seeing the small digits on watches without my glasses, through foggy goggles. For some reasons, the various watch manufacturers choose to make the "seconds" digits extra small. I can't see them at all. I'm not a fan of watches. Pace clocks: I use a Pace Pal pace clock. It's simple, effective, portable, and you can even put it underwater, which I find particularly good for long axis interval sets. Admittedly, it's a bit pricey. But a pace clock is the one indispensable tool for training. This is my pick.
  • Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.
  • Former Member
    If you want to use it for interval training, then I second realAlbertan's recommendation of the Tempo Trainer. Nothing beats the Tempo Trainer for convenience and accuracy when it comes to setting intervals. No need to lift your head and look at a clock at all. Just listen for the beep and off you go. Especially convenient if your eyesight isn't good. I use mine in conjunction with a watch (poolmate) with which I can record my times, stroke count, total yardage, etc. Have to say, I wouldn't use a pace clock again even if there was one at the pool I swim at.
  • I second realAlbertan's recommendation of the Tempo Trainer (keeps you honest and times are consistent for 25s and 50s)
  • I use the Timex Ironman.Practically indestructible and easy to use.
  • Former Member
    Timex Ironman and Casio G-Shock are both good watches. There's probably more 'streamline' watches out there, but for the price those two are my favorite. Durable and full of features.
  • I recently acquired a Garmin Swim watch and have worn it in a couple of workouts. I'm not yet ready to write a review, but, what I will say is this: my biggest phobia about swimming with a watch would be that I'd feel it and it would annoy me. The Garmin Swim is quite sleek and I completely forgot I was wearing it. I haven't done enough swims with it yet to know if the metrics that it tracks are going to add value to my training, but my hope is that it becomes a good training tool, much like fins or paddles: something I wear some times during a workout to achieve a specific outcome.
  • PaceWatch. Slim. Simple. Easy to read. http://brilliantswim.com This looks interesting. I noticed you can also get it through SwimOutlet, here.