New Omega Backstroke Start Device

Former Member
Former Member
Wow, this is cool! A "starting wedge" for backstrokers. Looks like it's approved by FINA; it's on their YouTube page. How to use the backstroke foot ledge: - At the start, the toes of both feet must be in contact with the end wall or face of the touchpad. Bending the toes over the top of the touchpad is prohibited. - The ledge may be adjustable to 4 cm above or 4 cm below the water level. www.youtube.com/watch
  • It took me a while to get an OK back start , then they changed the rule. I see many more poor or slipped feet starts with the feet on the face & under water than with the feet/toes above on the gutter/starting pad.
  • Pools for bigger competitions usually have touch pads that come out of the water so there is no gutter/edge you can put your feet on. Except that curling your toes over the edge of the gutter is illegal in a backstroke start... (Article 101.1.2B).
  • Except that curling your toes over the edge of the gutter is illegal in a backstroke start... (Article 101.1.2B). which is why I think they should change it back to the good ol' days when you could curl your toes. this new gadget will let you get the same type of leverage, now with more cost.
  • I wasn't aware of the toe - grip, 101.1.2B rule up until when I was formally educated last year at a LCM meet. At the start I proceeded to grip my toes over the gutter then the referee called me out, which was a little embarrassing but better than a DQ.
  • I would prefer the rule change back to where one can use the gutter. Everyone is on the same playing field then, and programs with lesser funding aren't at a disadvantage because they can't afford the new gadget. the swimmers won't be at a disadvantage because they don't have one to practice on. Everyone has a pool gutter. I never really understood the change to keep the toes under water in the first place, other than to make the backstroke start more difficult. Now they are trying to make it easier again. :2cents:
  • Looks cool. Would like to try it. Not every pool has a gutter. I swim in a a few pools that have no gutters, and sometimes no lane lines. Its a tough workout when there a multiple persons in the pool lap swimming. Hoewever, I think its worth the extra effort to complete the workout.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Pools for bigger competitions usually have touch pads that come out of the water so there is no gutter/edge you can put your feet on. I am wondering if I will ever see this at a masters meet. It seems like a bit of a hassle (timers have to pull it out of the water after each start) but I want to try.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Except that curling your toes over the edge of the gutter is illegal in a backstroke start... (Article 101.1.2B).Yes, I was replying to a post about changing that rule. I think I am for eliminating that rule although none of the meets I usually go to have gutters I could take advantage of.
  • which is why I think they should change it back to the good ol' days when you could curl your toes. this new gadget will let you get the same type of leverage, now with more cost. Yes, I was replying to a post about changing that rule. I think I am for eliminating that rule although none of the meets I usually go to have gutters I could take advantage of. I don't think FINA ever allowed the "curling of the toes", in the US it was only allowed in SCY meets while LCM meets obeyed FINA rules (when I was young, the whole foot had to be submerged). I imagine the reason for FINA's rule is the one that Arthur mentions in passing: many -- maybe most -- of the pools internationally didn't have gutters at the end of the pool so they didn't want to give an unfair advantage to people (maybe mostly in the US?) who competed in pools that did. In the old days in SCY meets I enjoyed stand-up starts a lot. But I am glad that now the rules are consistent between courses. Now if they'd only move those backstroke flags to 5m for SCY pools...! Of course they could avoid ALL OF THIS if they just allow backstrokers to dive from the blocks! Just have a rule that you have to be on your back before the first stroke. That's a rule change I could get behind!
  • Of course they could avoid ALL OF THIS if they just allow backstrokers to dive from the blocks! Just have a rule that you have to be on your back before the first stroke. That's a rule change I could get behind! Intriguing suggestion. Your backstroke and fly times are always pretty close--a backstroke dive would give backstroke an advantage. The other thing about this that would be nice--granted, in one of those imaginary universes that comic books occasionally use when the run out of ideas for their superheroes--is that the order of a medley relay would no longer require backstrokers to start first. This would, in my view, open up a whole other possibility: strategic medley relay swimming, where each team would be free to pick its own order just so long as each of the four strokes are swum. You might, for instance, want to start with your freestyler in hopes of getting as much clear water as possible for your team. Or maybe you could start with breaststroke, be a little behind, but give the other teams that creepy sense that you are fast catching up, causing them to panic. Who knows? But it could add an intellectual component to swimming competition that, god only knows, is somewhat lacking now!