New Omega Backstroke Start Device

Former Member
Former Member
Wow, this is cool! A "starting wedge" for backstrokers. Looks like it's approved by FINA; it's on their YouTube page. How to use the backstroke foot ledge: - At the start, the toes of both feet must be in contact with the end wall or face of the touchpad. Bending the toes over the top of the touchpad is prohibited. - The ledge may be adjustable to 4 cm above or 4 cm below the water level. www.youtube.com/watch
Parents
  • which is why I think they should change it back to the good ol' days when you could curl your toes. this new gadget will let you get the same type of leverage, now with more cost. Yes, I was replying to a post about changing that rule. I think I am for eliminating that rule although none of the meets I usually go to have gutters I could take advantage of. I don't think FINA ever allowed the "curling of the toes", in the US it was only allowed in SCY meets while LCM meets obeyed FINA rules (when I was young, the whole foot had to be submerged). I imagine the reason for FINA's rule is the one that Arthur mentions in passing: many -- maybe most -- of the pools internationally didn't have gutters at the end of the pool so they didn't want to give an unfair advantage to people (maybe mostly in the US?) who competed in pools that did. In the old days in SCY meets I enjoyed stand-up starts a lot. But I am glad that now the rules are consistent between courses. Now if they'd only move those backstroke flags to 5m for SCY pools...! Of course they could avoid ALL OF THIS if they just allow backstrokers to dive from the blocks! Just have a rule that you have to be on your back before the first stroke. That's a rule change I could get behind!
  • which is why I think they should change it back to the good ol' days when you could curl your toes. this new gadget will let you get the same type of leverage, now with more cost. Yes, I was replying to a post about changing that rule. I think I am for eliminating that rule although none of the meets I usually go to have gutters I could take advantage of. I don't think FINA ever allowed the "curling of the toes", in the US it was only allowed in SCY meets while LCM meets obeyed FINA rules (when I was young, the whole foot had to be submerged). I imagine the reason for FINA's rule is the one that Arthur mentions in passing: many -- maybe most -- of the pools internationally didn't have gutters at the end of the pool so they didn't want to give an unfair advantage to people (maybe mostly in the US?) who competed in pools that did. In the old days in SCY meets I enjoyed stand-up starts a lot. But I am glad that now the rules are consistent between courses. Now if they'd only move those backstroke flags to 5m for SCY pools...! Of course they could avoid ALL OF THIS if they just allow backstrokers to dive from the blocks! Just have a rule that you have to be on your back before the first stroke. That's a rule change I could get behind!
Children
No Data