Scratching at a Master meet

I am considering scratching an event at an upcoming meet. Is there a protocol that I should be aware of. For instance, at a USA meet, if you fail to report to the blocks for event A, you are automatically DQ'd for event B. Is this true in USMS as well? I would like to make a "game time" decision, but it's the 2nd event that I'd like to focus on, and would be totally bummed if I screwed up.
  • To remove all doubt, I remove my suit, place it on the starting block, and walk away. Now aren't you all glad I never scratch events? Well, That Guy, if you were really your avatar, I would have to think twice on that one ;); however, if you were your previous avatar, I would say definitely :afraid:. Glad to see you back, That Guy! You are one of the reasons I'm sorry I'll be missing Santa Clara. Any chance you would be going to Montreal or Maryland?
  • Well, That Guy, if you were really your avatar, I would have to think twice on that one ;); however, if you were your previous avatar, I would say definitely :afraid:. Glad to see you back, That Guy! You are one of the reasons I'm sorry I'll be missing Santa Clara. Any chance you would be going to Montreal or Maryland? Thanks! Unfortunately, I won't be at any of those 3 meets.
  • I've never seen an event reseeded in masters. I've had it happen a couple times in the 200 fly, where the scratch rate is rather high. At the Lake Washington meet two months ago (6 lane pool), 7 of us were entered in the 200 fly so there were two heats. 2 of 3 from the first heat did not show, so we reseeded into one heat. 1 from the second heat did not show, so 4 of us dove in, and 3 of us finished. No casualties!
  • At the Lake Washington meet two months ago (6 lane pool), 7 of us were entered in the 200 fly so there were two heats. 2 of 3 from the first heat did not show, so we reseeded into one heat. 1 from the second heat did not show, so 4 of us dove in, and 3 of us finished. No casualties! Still, pretty high attrition rate. :)
  • I've never seen an event reseeded in masters. Me either. Once the heats are seeded, I've never seen any changes. I've only done 1 nationals, and I checked in for an event the day prior online. After a late day, I decided to scratch (it was my only event that day and I just didn't show). Perhaps I should have let someone know, but I didn't know any better. I've scratched events, shown up late skipping earlier events, left early skipping late events, and even skipped entire meets. Never let a soul know, and never heard anything from any of it.
  • Still, pretty high attrition rate. :) I cannot say who the no-show from the second heat was. If Lapmonger and the Aqueous Five knew the secret identity of Scratch Man, there could be dire consequences for Dry Boy, Wuss Woman, and the rest of the Sitting-Out Six! I've said too much already.
  • This is total nonsense. That is a lot of events for a sprinter to swim at any meet, much less a meet that is moving fast. People scratch events all the time (even at nationals) for many reasons. It's no big deal. I think my current streak is two meets in a row with no scratches. :) Agreed.I have swum 5 events in a day,but I can only swim 2 at best time quality.If you want to swim a lot of events,fine.If you want to swim fast,make sure you have plenty of rest.
  • I've had it happen a couple times in the 200 fly I've learned to stay on my toes with the 200 fly because of this. A couple years ago, they reseeded a 200 fly fairly close the the event start. My teammate thought he had 4 minutes to get a quick bathroom break while the slower heat was going. Another teammate had to go hunt him down. "Um... don't want to rush you or anything but your heat is on the blocks right now."
  • Thanks! Unfortunately, I won't be at any of those 3 meets. :badday: :sad: :cry:
  • Perhaps I should have let someone know No need, really.