Scratching at a Master meet

I am considering scratching an event at an upcoming meet. Is there a protocol that I should be aware of. For instance, at a USA meet, if you fail to report to the blocks for event A, you are automatically DQ'd for event B. Is this true in USMS as well? I would like to make a "game time" decision, but it's the 2nd event that I'd like to focus on, and would be totally bummed if I screwed up.
  • I'm not positive I want to scratch. The order of events for me is 50 back, 50free, 100 back 100 free. I think the 100 back might be too much if I want to do well in the100 free. maybe I should just make the call now. I was going to wait to see how I was feeling that day. :dunno:
  • The bottom line is there's no penalty and people scratch events (i.e. no show) all the time at masters meets.
  • I just contact respective lane timer at a convienient opportunity so they can scratch my name a good number of heats prior
  • To remove all doubt, I remove my suit, place it on the starting block, and walk away. Now aren't you all glad I never scratch events?
  • There is no penalty for not swimming an event.If it is deck seeded,then you want to let them know before the seeding.If heats are pre-seeded,then you can wait until the last second to see if you want to swim the event.You don't have to notify anyone,but you can as a courtesy.
  • Yes you can drop an event, it's nice to let then know. With the short events you listed I think you should go for it You do a LOT more in practice don't you ??
  • Yes you can drop an event, it's nice to let then know. With the short events you listed I think you should go for it You do a LOT more in practice don't you ?? I think I'll wait until after the 50's and see how I feel and how fast the meet is moving. I am not known for my endurance, and my last 100 back race triggered an asthma attack. I will be sure to let the important people know in advance. Thanks for all the feedback.
  • With the short events you listed I think you should go for it You do a LOT more in practice don't you ?? This is total nonsense. That is a lot of events for a sprinter to swim at any meet, much less a meet that is moving fast. People scratch events all the time (even at nationals) for many reasons. It's no big deal. I think my current streak is two meets in a row with no scratches. :)
  • Jen, not a problem at all. If you knew for sure in advance, I'd email the meet director so they could adjust the heat sheets. Maybe just use the first event as a stress-free warmup to get the jitters out?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I've never seen an event reseeded in masters. now back is USS my coach had a fit when I scratched. Had I just no-showed, his head would have exploded