Coming for a visit to the USA

Former Member
Former Member
Hi Guys, I am new to the Forums. My name is Daniel and I am from South Africa. I joined because I am a masters swimmer in SA and we are heading for a 5 week holiday in the USA from the 28th of March to the 8th of May. I would like to continue training in the USA and wanted to know if there are any squads I can train with in the NY, Florida and Washington areas. I can give more specific addresses, but just wanted to first sus out if there are any club members in those areas on these forums? Looking forward to the community! Daniel
  • Welcome to the US and I hope you enjoy your stay. The places to swim link is the real deal. I have used it. I live in Minnesota and have had the pleasure to drop in on clubs in Florida and California while traveling on business. I would say swimmers are among the very most welcoming of all americans. I had a wonderful time and I felt very much welcomed. I came across this link which was written (I think) by the coach instructing his swimmers to drop in on other clubs. I found the information to be quite useful. BTW - the fact that such a sheet exists should NOT lead you to think American swimmers are all wound up on rules and such. I found the information to be pretty practical.:2cents: www.novamasters.com/.../
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Daniel, I've had a lot of success using the "Places To Swim" page to find teams to swim with when I travel: www.usms.org/.../ Poster PWB also uses this guide to find pools for swimming solo if there is not a nearby team: http://www.swimmersguide.com/
  • Former Member
    Thank you Fresnoid. That will be a big help.
  • Former Member
    Dan, Go ahead and give us more specifics on which cities you'll be in. There are a lot of us on these forums and we'll be able to get you connected with some pools and clubs! Anna Lea
  • We have been to your country & really enjoyed it! I hope your visit here will as memorable. If you can , before the visit, give us a city name then it will be easier to find a swim club/team to have you drop in on. We are inviting our guide from Tanzania. Musa, come to visit us this spring & he is very excited!
  • Hi Guys, I am new to the Forums. My name is Daniel and I am from South Africa. I joined because I am a masters swimmer in SA and we are heading for a 5 week holiday in the USA from the 28th of March to the 8th of May. I would like to continue training in the USA and wanted to know if there are any squads I can train with in the NY, Florida and Washington areas. I can give more specific addresses, but just wanted to first sus out if there are any club members in those areas on these forums? Looking forward to the community! DanielDaniel, If you really want to get a taste of Masters swimming in the USA, then you should add a westward stop to your itinerary and join us for Nationals in Santa Clara, California May 1st to 4th! The links others have provided are good, but, like Anna Lea said, more specific locations will get you more specific recommendations. I can almost guarantee you that you'll be ecstatic with the choices of pools in Florida, struggle to find as many in NY and, if by Washington you mean Washington, DC, you'll find a mix -- some great pools and great teams, but nowhere near the volume of pools that are in Florida. If you do want to race on the east coast, I highly recommend you check out the Colonies Zone meet the first weekend in April at an awesome pool in the greater Washington, DC area -- www.clubassistant.com/.../meet_information.cfm.
  • ... Novi MI ... I travel to Ann Arbor MI a few times a year & swim with the Ann Arbor Masters. Nice folks! It's about a half hour's drive from Novi. All the information you need is at this link.
  • Hi Guys, I am new to the Forums. My name is Daniel and I am from South Africa. I joined because I am a masters swimmer in SA and we are heading for a 5 week holiday in the USA from the 28th of March to the 8th of May. I would like to continue training in the USA and wanted to know if there are any squads I can train with in the NY, Florida and Washington areas. I can give more specific addresses, but just wanted to first sus out if there are any club members in those areas on these forums? Looking forward to the community! Daniel Hi Daniel, Here is a link to all of the clubs in the greater Washington DC region: www.pvmasters.org/clubs.htm You will want to look for clubs that may work for you and then contact them ahead of time to verify their practice schedules. The schedules are only as up to date as what they give to me. Here is another link that may be useful - but it may not be as current as the first link since it is not maintained other than users writing in with their own info: www.usms.org/.../placswimform.php Finally, you'll want to verify with the clubs that you are covered by insurance. I don't know if your current SA registration covers you or not, so you'll want to look into that (here in DC as well as elsewhere in the US). Safe travels. Jeff Roddin Potomac Valley Registrar
  • I'm coming to Detroit (Well, Novi MI) for a few days this week (arrive Thursday and leave Monday) and will no doubt be back from time to time. I'd love to find a competitive masters group that I could join for at least one swim while I'm there, and on subsequent trips. Here's a good list for you: www.michiganmasters.com/Placestoswim.html You might also want to PM Frank Thompson and see what he suggests.
  • We will be at: DC: 1606 19th street NW, Washington, DC My firm has an office south of DC in Alexandria and I always train with there masters team. They are very friendly and have some really good swimmers to train with. They maybe too far from where you are staying but if you get the chance contact them: www.alexandriamasters.com