2014 Canadian Nationals

According to the mymsc.ca website, the 2014 Canadian Nationals will be May 16-19 (Friday-Monday) in Windsor, Ontario, at the brand-new Windsor International Aquatic and Training Centre, aka the Family Aquatic Complex. Windsor is about a half hour's drive from the Detroit airport. I've heard the meet is LCM, though I can't verify it. I also can't verify the event order! Which events on which days? Apparently it's not published yet? Is it known from experience? Does anyone know for sure or have a guess? Thanks.
  • That's true. I think we've been over 1000 a few times, when the meet has been in Montreal. But when it's in the West (read "west of Ontario"), it never reaches 1000. Nanaimo in 2010 and Kelowna in 2012 both had entry limits of 600 if I recall correctly. I think they both filled up well before the deadline... Since you both seem to be well versed in Canadian Nationals stats, how far in advance do you guys think one needs to sign up this year, in order to make it in under the 1000 swimmer cap? I've been looking at the cmsc2014 website, but I don't see anything anywhere that indicates how many folks have signed up yet... Also, since the format is different than USMS nats, is it typically a bad idea to sign up for back-to-back events? I know at USMS nats it's no big deal to do two in a row, but I'm thinking it's not going to be a good idea to do that in Windsor.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I have a hard time believing that people would be happy with two-per-lane at a USMS national championship. Us Canadians aren't happy with it either. You should have seen the last (fast) heat of the 1500 in Ottawa last year! It was like open water swimming at its waviest.
  • Former Member
    It could be that the 1000 swimmer limit is rarely if ever reached in Canada. That's true. I think we've been over 1000 a few times, when the meet has been in Montreal. But when it's in the West (read "west of Ontario"), it never reaches 1000.
  • When I heal , I will look into swimming those meets with our friends to the north.
  • Former Member
    That's true. I think we've been over 1000 a few times, when the meet has been in Montreal. But when it's in the West (read "west of Ontario"), it never reaches 1000. Nanaimo in 2010 and Kelowna in 2012 both had entry limits of 600 if I recall correctly. I think they both filled up well before the deadline. For the 1500 in Kelowna, it was in a 50m pool with a bulkhead so they swam it double ended, one per lane. Other events were single ended.
  • Former Member
    Since you both seem to be well versed in Canadian Nationals stats, how far in advance do you guys think one needs to sign up this year, in order to make it in under the 1000 swimmer cap? Also, since the format is different than USMS nats, is it typically a bad idea to sign up for back-to-back events? I have gone to every CDN Nationals since 2003, am planning to go to this one, and still haven't signed up yet. But I probably will sometime this week. That said, you're probably OK if you waited another month. And, I'm sure, lots of Canadians are debating which event to go to this year - Nationals or Worlds (Personally, I'm planning to go to both). So that might keep attendance at Nationals lower than usual. Regarding back-to-back events... depends on the events. For example, there should be lots of heats for the free and sprint events. Not so many for events like the stroke 200s and the longer IMs.
  • Former Member
    Since you both seem to be well versed in Canadian Nationals stats, how far in advance do you guys think one needs to sign up this year, in order to make it in under the 1000 swimmer cap? I've been looking at the cmsc2014 website, but I don't see anything anywhere that indicates how many folks have signed up yet... Also, since the format is different than USMS nats, is it typically a bad idea to sign up for back-to-back events? I know at USMS nats it's no big deal to do two in a row, but I'm thinking it's not going to be a good idea to do that in Windsor. I would guess it wouldn't fill up too quickly because of worlds but don't hold me to that. I did 100 fly and 200 back back-to-back in Kelowna. I probably had 45-60 minutes in between. 200 back is a relatively unpopular event so it shouldn't be any worse than that. Especially if there are 400 more people.
  • I will look forward to the results when they come out. Good luck!
  • The Canadian Nationals psych sheets are now available here http://cmsc2014.ca/main/ The pool has been measured and is on file file with both USMS and FINA Masters World Organizations. The meet host plans on sending the Hy-tek Meet Manager file of the meet to the USMS National Office and the results of all USMS members will be uploaded to the USMS Event Results Data Base. I will be the meet liaison for this task and I have already successfully done this for the Canadian Provincial Meet that was held at this same facility a little over a month ago and times were successfully uploaded to the USMS Event Results Data Base. Swimmers have been sending mass e-mails to the Meet Director and Meet Registrar worrying about this and wondering about the measurement of the pool. I can assure you that NOTHING will happen like the last two years when there was a complete melt down about this. Their meet information has a section on Record Attempts that indicates that the organization is aware of the need to measure the pool for a record. They have successfully done this at the Canadian Provincial Meet with Phillip Djang setting USMS/FINA World Records in the SCM 50, 100, and 200 Backstroke. I will be bringing forms for both Records and Pool Measurement if a record is set and the the inside and 2 outside lanes need to be measured. I also have a laser measuring device and steel target plate for measuring in case something goes wrong with their equipment. I will be there all 4 days.
  • Just out of curiosity, why is all this measuring taking place? I thought USMS had changed its rule and decided to accept results from international meets even if that country's rules differed from ours.