Belmont Pool Closed

Belmont Pool Closed "On Thursday, January 10th, the City of Long Beach closed the pool indefinitely after a structural analysis found that the pool was “seismically unsafe,” meaning that even a moderate earthquake would cause severe damage to the facility."
  • Regarding the December "Long Beach" (indoor) SCM meet. Looks like this got snuck onto the swim meet calendar without anyone noticing. www.spmasterswim.org/.../ www.ci.commerce.ca.us/index.aspx. slipshodphotog.com/.../brenda-villa-aquatics-center-on-flickr I've been trying to swim at this pool, but they have crummy hours for your average public, drop in, swimmer. I'll have to make extra effort now that this pool is a confirmed location. Lucky me, I have relatives less than a mile or two from this pool. Hopefully I can stay with them during the meet and not drive back and forth from Long Beach to Commerce. Splish is only a couple of blocks away from here too. Hopefully they can be the vendor of choice for the swim meet. That would be fun.
  • Regarding the December "Long Beach" (indoor) SCM meet. Looks like this got snuck onto the swim meet calendar without anyone noticing. www.spmasterswim.org/.../ www.ci.commerce.ca.us/index.aspx. slipshodphotog.com/.../brenda-villa-aquatics-center-on-flickr I've been trying to swim at this pool, but they have crummy hours for your average public, drop in, swimmer. I'll have to make extra effort now that this pool is a confirmed location. Lucky me, I have relatives less than a mile or two from this pool. Hopefully I can stay with them during the meet and not drive back and forth from Long Beach to Commerce. Splish is only a couple of blocks away from here too. Hopefully they can be the vendor of choice for the swim meet. That would be fun. Thanks for the update. Is it supposed to be a fast pool? Do you know if it's 25 SCM widthwise or would there be a bulkhead involved? This might be the first year I can actually make that meet.
  • Based on Swimmers Guide I would say it has a moveable bulkhead. www.swimmersguide.com/ViewFacility.aspx I plan on going there within the next two weeks. I will be able to provide a first hand report.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    Regarding the December "Long Beach" (indoor) SCM meet. Looks like this got snuck onto the swim meet calendar without anyone noticing. www.spmasterswim.org/.../ www.ci.commerce.ca.us/index.aspx. slipshodphotog.com/.../brenda-villa-aquatics-center-on-flickr I've been trying to swim at this pool, but they have crummy hours for your average public, drop in, swimmer. I'll have to make extra effort now that this pool is a confirmed location. Lucky me, I have relatives less than a mile or two from this pool. Hopefully I can stay with them during the meet and not drive back and forth from Long Beach to Commerce. Splish is only a couple of blocks away from here too. Hopefully they can be the vendor of choice for the swim meet. That would be fun. Wait, there are people living in Commerce?
  • .....so I drove up to City of Commerce today hoping to get a chance to get in their pool for their Recreation Swim. Sadly, I was not able to swim because there was Girls Water Polo games in the pool all weekend. Right On! Anyway, swim meets and water polo games being what they are. I just walked in and no one stopped me. Here are my observations on the facility and surrounding area: a) Nice neighborhood. Swim complex shares same parcel lot as the City of Commerce Community Center and around the corner is their Civic Center. Two medium to small parking lots on either side of the pool complex and lots and lots of street parking. The Sheriff station is down the street. b) I spoke with a couple of girls on one of the water polo teams and they stated to me they felt the water was cool, and not over chlorinated. I put my hand in the main pool I would say it was in the 81 F range. c) yes movable bulkhead. When the bulkhead is in place there is limited warm up/cool down area. There is a separate pool inside the complex shorter, maybe 20 yards, that could also be used for warm up/cool down. The smaller pool is four lanes. d) seating - bleacher seating over the lifeguard office. Could fit 100 people?, my best guesstimate here. That leaves the pool deck. Knowing how many persons would attend the SCM meet in December I would say it would be a tight fit on Saturday and Sunday. I recommend to contact the pool itself and see what their policy is on bringing your favorite beach chair. I could not see a way to attach team banners to the walls, so again, call the pool and see what they can do. e) restroom and showers - I would say double than what is available at Belmont regarding the restroom facilities. Showers, I counted 10 semi-private showers and one double sized one for a wheelchair. I am 6 foot tall the mini walls came up to the middle of my rib cage. Push button to turn water on. Locker area - enough to accommodate one or two swim teams to change without any issues. There were 109 lockers available, so bring a lock if you wish to utilize. f) food - nothing terribly close. Pack a lunch for yourself. All in all I felt it was a nice facility. Regards, Your Roving, Pool Hopping, Master Swimmer in So. Calif.
  • Starting today 08/14/13 - the process of bringing forth the above ground 50 meter pool begins. I spoke with the Lifeguards and their best guesstimate is that the above ground pool will be ready for swimmers around Halloween. The area in the attached map is larger than I thought it would be. The entrance to the parking lot will now be south the the main entrance, drive south to Granada Ave. What I did not consider was they would also have to construct a fence around the above ground pool to keep people out overnight. I am also guessing they may have to hire a security guard too. Anyway, thanks to the Lifeguards for providing the map to me so I could post here for all of the Belmont pool fans. Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to answer them, or get the answer for you. 7845
  • So, I assume they'll keep this open and heated throughout the winter this year?
  • Yes, that is correct. The Belmont facility is a year round facility. The City Parks & Recreation are still doing swim lessons, swim camps, lap swimming etc. Beach Swim Club utilizes the facility for its Adult and Childrens swim teams. The McCormick Divers had to move to another facility.
  • Bill, it was great seeing you at Mission Viejo! As for you, Patrick, :bouncing:, darn it! I got the message from Paul, but no can do. A deal is a deal. :chug: :chug:. Anyway, I was down at the Belmont Pool last evening, taking my best friend out for her birthday at La Palapa. I would assume they would have to vacate their location, as well. Do you know when that will be? It's such a cool location for their restaurant!