Belmont Pool Closed

Belmont Pool Closed "On Thursday, January 10th, the City of Long Beach closed the pool indefinitely after a structural analysis found that the pool was “seismically unsafe,” meaning that even a moderate earthquake would cause severe damage to the facility."
  • Oh no.That is a great and historic pool.ARRRRRRG
  • www.longbeach.gov/.../belmont_plaza_pool.asp Here is the full text of the memo from the City of Long Beach. It may not be so bad Allen.
  • Oh no.That is a great and historic pool.ARRRRRRG I grew up in Long Beach and swam at Belmont Olympic Pool for Moore League Finals, in high school. I have wonderful memories of that pool- and, some not so wonderful... Wonderful: Swimming a 1:19.6 in 100 breaststroke, my senior year. (Ohhh, those were the days; I can't break 1:30 now as a baby geezer. ) :cane: Not so wonderful: At the same meet, I swam breaststroke on the medley relay and slipped getting out of the water after my leg of the relay. My hands slipped on that flat tiled edge when I pushed myself up and I landed on the bridge of my nose. :censor: I sure hope it will be fixable- and, a quick fix at that! The pool was closed when I went home for my 50th birthday, last year. Forumite "Debaru" and I ended up swimming in the outdoor pool, instead, and meeting Bill Sive; another Forumite! :D
  • I guess it will all come down to cost.I'm certainly hoping they fix it(and decide to come up with a way to to heat the building in the winter,at least the first weekend in Dec.)
  • I'm certainly hoping they fix it(and decide to come up with a way to to heat the building in the winter,at least the first weekend in Dec.)Me, too. I think 2013 was going to be the first year I could finally make it out for the iconic Grunions SCM meet. I'll be bummed if I can't. The only time I got to Long Beach to swim there, it was also closed and I had to settle for the outdoor pool like Elaine. Just not the same thing: forums.usms.org/attachment.php
  • i too had some good swims in that pool. granted that was WAY back. and of course who could forget Jeff Farrell making the team at the '60 Olympic Trails held there for the 100m Free after just having his appendix taken out a few days before. 1960 trials were not held in Long Beach. I believe they were held in Michigan. The first trials at Long Beach I believe were in '72 or '76. BTW, Jeff is currently writing a new book about that amazing episode. There is already a book that was written about Jeff's feat called Six Days To Swim. Probably out of print, but I have a copy. Great stuff.
  • 1960 trials were not held in Long Beach. I believe they were held in Michigan. Correct; they were held in Michigan. And, the 1976 trials were held in Long Beach. Here is a link to the results of past Olympic swimming trials. Scroll down the page to see the list: www.usaswimming.org/DesktopDefault.aspx
  • The '68 men's trials were held in Long Beach.
  • The '68 men's trials were held in Long Beach. Yes, the men's trials were held in L.B., however, the women's trials were held in L.A.
  • :badday:Oh no.That is a great and historic pool.ARRRRRRG This is so sad. I missed the SCM meet in 2012 because of just having surgery. I was looking very forward to making it this year. I know many who have swam there, and they have nothing but good memories.:badday: