Belmont Pool Closed

Belmont Pool Closed "On Thursday, January 10th, the City of Long Beach closed the pool indefinitely after a structural analysis found that the pool was “seismically unsafe,” meaning that even a moderate earthquake would cause severe damage to the facility."
  • Belmont Plaza Pool to Close For Good; Replacement Plan in the Works :cry:I will never forget racing a personal best 100 breaststroke time of 1:19.6, at Moore League Finals, in my senior year of high school. After racing in the area high school pools, I was in awe of Belmont Olympic Pool and the history of swimmers who swam there before me. I know I can speak for Debaru that we will both be mourning the loss of that pool. Bill, you must be depressed, too! :bighug:
  • :cry:I will never forget racing a personal best 100 breaststroke time of 1:19.6, at Moore League Finals, in my senior year of high school. After racing in the area high school pools, I was in awe of Belmont Olympic Pool and the history of swimmers who swam there before me. I know I can speak for Debaru that we will both be mourning the loss of that pool. Bill, you must be depressed, too! :bighug: It's a good thing I brought in a new box of tissues today. This is indeed very sad news. I think the pool is worth saving, though. If I understand the article correctly, if it could cost up to $64 million to totally replace it, but only $23 million to upgrade it, I would think upgrading would be the way to go. L.B. could still erect a temporary pool while the upgrades are in the works and would save well over $30 million in the long run. The thing I hate the most about this, is what will happen to all of the tile murals. They are beautiful works of art that should be preserved.
  • It's sad that a pool of that vintage needs to be replaced already especially when you consider it was a premier facility when it was built.
  • It's a good thing I brought in a new box of tissues today. This is indeed very sad news. I think the pool is worth saving, though. If I understand the article correctly, if it could cost up to $64 million to totally replace it, but only $23 million to upgrade it, I would think upgrading would be the way to go. L.B. could still erect a temporary pool while the upgrades are in the works and would save well over $30 million in the long run. The thing I hate the most about this, is what will happen to all of the tile murals. They are beautiful works of art that should be preserved. That was the first thing I thought of when I used this: :cry:
  • It's sad that a pool of that vintage needs to be replaced already especially when you consider it was a premier facility when it was built. I totally agree. However, having grown up in Long Beach (before and after the pool was built) and being a survivor of many an earthquake, my thinking is that it's possible that the actual site itself is seismically unstable, and not just the building. This could be the real underlying reason why the city wants to rebuild, and probably somewhere else away from Belmont Shore.
  • I totally agree. However, having grown up in Long Beach (before and after the pool was built) and being a survivor of many an earthquake, my thinking is that it's possible that the actual site itself is seismically unstable, and not just the building. This could be the real underlying reason why the city wants to rebuild, and probably somewhere else away from Belmont Shore. Definitely! The pool is located just off the beach and just yards from the Pacific Ocean. I would think the land there is unstable. What a beautiful location though... Bring Myrtha Pools to make our day! :banana: :cheerleader:
  • I missed that article in the Press Telegram, but then I don't read it everyday either. Not on my top ten list of newspapers/websites to read. I have been swimming in the outdoor pool and have encouraged everyone to continue to support the outdoor pool to show the City, and Parks & Recreation, that there are swimmers committed to swimming at Belmont. I have heard two, not official, solutions at this point in time: A) a Myrtha Pool in the parking lot at Belmont; B) a new pool in downtown Long Beach I will continue with my plans to attend the committee meeting tomorrow night. Will post my notes after the meeting. Thank you all for caring about our pool. Regards,
  • The City's press release on the other thread indicates that the plan would be to build new pools (one indoor, one outdoor) at the current site, so it would seem that the issue not the geology of the site but the state of the building itself. (Similarly, folks mention that one option would be to rebuild the current pool, which also indicates it's not a site issue.) It may be that after the '72 Sylmar quake and the '94 Northridge quake that certain building techniques that were viewed as okay in '68 aren't okay anymore, but I speculate. The main point is that the current location, which is pretty cool, apparently is viable for the future.
  • Belmont Plaza Pool to Close For Good; Replacement Plan in the Works