Belmont Pool Closed

Belmont Pool Closed "On Thursday, January 10th, the City of Long Beach closed the pool indefinitely after a structural analysis found that the pool was “seismically unsafe,” meaning that even a moderate earthquake would cause severe damage to the facility."
  • Debs...I mean debaru (other thread), Swimming outdoors in SoCal in Jan/Feb/Mar can be great. BUT, it can also be very uncomfortable! We had a meet last year at UC Irvine in, I believe March, it was very windy and very cold (not like back east cold...I'm from NJ originally). I had to wear my parka until the moment before we were called to the blocks. Then there was some delay of a few minutes and it was awful. I've swum in local meets in the 50's and rain. Not at all ideal. I know some of you folks in actual cold climates think, 50's or 60's is warm, no big deal. Well I can tell you add rain and wind and it ain't no fun! Even this last weekend in Santa Clarita. It was high 60's, but windy. Not the worst conditions I have seen, but not the best either. An indoor pool will allow everyone to swim their best under pleasant conditions.
  • Having swam outdoors in the little warm-up pool at Belmont in January last year, I can tell you, an outdoor swim meet in December in Long Beach would not be a bad thing. (ElaineK, you can chime in with your input :agree:) I grew up there and it wasn't unusual for me and my friends to swim in the ocean during the Christmas break. A pool would be so much warmer. Sorry, Deb; I'm with King Frog on this one. :agree: I would freeze my :mooning: off waiting on deck in between events; especially since I have Raynaud's. :afraid: You are much better with the cold than I am! But, this isn't about you or me; it's about what would be logical. Having the competition pool outdoors would increase the chances of a meet being held in poor conditions (yes, even in sunny Long Beach), whereas, if it is held indoors, the conditions would be consistent all year around.
  • You are much better with the cold than I am! Guess I can't argue with that. :bump:
  • freeze my off Hmmm, the old forum system replaced naughtiness with asterisks. I liked the asterisks, but now we have a new ing challenge. Let's see what kind of ery and mayhem we can cause with this .
  • Hmmm, the old forum system replaced naughtiness with asterisks. I liked the asterisks, but now we have a new ing challenge. Let's see what kind of ery and mayhem we can cause with this . I fixed it (How could I forget that ​?)
  • I fixed it (How could I forget that ​?) No worries, I forget to capitalize myself all the time.
  • No worries, I forget to capitalize myself all the time. :lolup:
  • They could always bring it up to Federal Way at the KCAC and still call it the SPMS Dec. meet. I'm sure some of us wouldn't object too much. :D That's what the Pac-12 had to do. The women's conference meet was always scheduled for Federal Way, but now the men's will be, too, since Belmont is unavailable. They're doing it right after then women's meet from March 3-6 which is a Sunday through Wednesday. They couldn't get the following weekend because an age group meet already has the facility reserved.
  • Community Meeting regarding the status of the pool. Date: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 Time: 6:00 pm. Location: Banquet Room at the La Palapa Restaurant, next to the pool. www.lapalaparestaurant.com/ I plan on attending.