Biceps Tenodesis

Former Member
Former Member
Anyone familiar with this procedure??? Had it done on you??? It is used to treat biceps tendonitis of the shoulder whereby, in kinda layman's terms, the tendon is cut where it attaches into the labrum and reattached on the humerus thereby eliminating the tendon's span of the shoulder joint and hopefully, the source of its irritation/inflammation... Love to hear from anyone who's had this done; particularly from anyone who enjoyed success with it, but I suppose I should listen to the failures too, but jeeze, I hope those are few...
  • Bruce, In Jan. 2001 I had my right bicep tendon released and reattached. The recovery period is fairly long. I didn't swim for about 4 months, but within 10 months I was back to where I was post op. (I also had a torn rotator cuff repaired and a "decompression") Late last Sept. I had my left bicep tendon released but not reattached (along with repair of a torn labrum and another decompression). They did a special post op wrapping process that avoided the potential Popeye bicep and it worked as both sides look pretty much the same. It's a much shorter rehab (8-12 weeks) and I was fully back by this past March. I hope this helps, Rich
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Rich, Thanks for responding and making the clouds suddenly part, the sun burst forth, the birds start singing and porpoises start jumping....This is exactly what I wanted to hear although the length of the recovery and time outta the water might be tough to endure..Did you mean to say one month with no swimming??? .Oh well, whatever it takes at this point....No matter how much faith I may have in my Doc, its very reassuring to speak with someone who's sampled the product and lived to swim another day... I, too, had the decompression procedure (January, 06) and although the surgeon said he noticed the inflamed biceps tendon then, he elected not to do the tenodesis citing the length of the rehab and my desire to get back in the water...I enjoyed a remarkably quick recovery....too quick in some people's mind and those same people will be thinking I'm getting my just desserts when they hear that because of some lingering symptoms this new surgery is pending... Anyway.... Was your decompression done at the same time as the tenodesis? Was it done arthroscopically??? (just answered that myself..ran into my Doc and he said to reattach he needs a bigger hole) What caused the problem in the first place?? Why did your doc elect not to reattach the left side?? Are you completely pain free now?? Any downside? Thanks for your input and pleased to hear there is a meaningful swimming life on the other side.....
  • Former Member
    I would never think that you are getting your just desserts. Lane 2 misses you too much!
  • Former Member
    If I do a really hard workout, my right bicep gets rock hard. ther is no pain but it is really weird because it looks like I am flexing it even though I'm not.
  • I know this is an old thread but I too am going to have a Tenodesis perfromed on the long head tendon of my bicep. Is there any (newer) information or experiences that anyone can share regarding recovery time and issues/effects of post op? Any information is appreciated greatly.
  • I know this is an old thread but I too am going to have a Tenodesis perfromed on the long head tendon of my bicep. Is there any (newer) information or experiences that anyone can share regarding recovery time and issues/effects of post op? Any information is appreciated greatly. Bruce is a friend of mine. I don't think he's posted on the forums any time recently. I'll see if he can update this thread with his experience. As a side note, he's had 3 Long Distance All American swims since 2006, so he was definitely able to get back into shape!
  • As a side bar -- I'm having my lower deltoid looked at on Thur. for pain/soreness when I DO LOTS OF FREE & FLY~
  • Bruce, Thank you very much for the replay and update. That's all good news.:applaud: Here's my situation: a week and a half ago my dog (90 LB Lab) fell from the dock getting into my boat. there was no way to easily lift her up onto the dock. I had assistance from a neighbor of mine and we both lifted the dog out (BTW... she's fine and had this look like it was the most exciting swim she had ever had) However, in the process of lifting I managed to tear the Long Head Biceps tendon on my left side. This is especially disapointing since I had been acheiiving an optimum level of performance in my swims and was even planning to do a meet the following day of my injury. I'm 54 and when the Docs first saw the injury they started to give me some research statistics citing minimal loss if the tendon was not reattached. (mainly they cited age and sedentary habits) I may be 54 but I am definetly not sedentary. I pushed to have the tenodesis done but in the back of my mind I still have some reservations and fears. Tuesday I go under the knife and I'm really hoping that I may be able to (ever so lightly) get back in and swim in about 6-8 weeks. I'm going to go easy but assertive in my recovery. I hope I'm making the right decision and that my swimming level will get back up to speed in about 6-8 months. Thoughts, advice and comments always appreciated. :afraid:
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    Kevin... wow..looking at the date of this thread...has it been that long?? I s'pose I shouduv done a follow up post revealing the happy ending...because indeed there is... I had the decompression first, which may have worked if I hadn't been overly aggressive getting back in the water...The tenodesis was prolly 8 months later, and the recovery was a bit longer, or perhaps I was more enlightened, and was easier on it...anyway, I have had some prolonged periods of pretty intense workouts since (for an old guy), swimming times close to all time bests, and have no more shoulder problems... Now, would you like to hear about my knee issues? Lemmie know if you'd like me to expound, because, indeed, I can... My shoulder problems and my wailing to the cosmos on this forum and others, did more to promote my creative writing than anything since Miss Braymer in 6th grade...
  • I have enjoyed reading this older thread. Lot of good encouraging stuff. Planning to have a biceps tenodesis at the end of the month. It appears I have a rather rare injury to my biceps tendon (longitudinal split tear of the extra-articular cartilage). I tried rehab several times, but the shoulder kept getting reinjured. I never could get to working out as hard as I would have liked. Brining this thread back after 5 years. Does anyone have any recent experience with a biceps tenodesis with return to swimming? Specifically with a longitudinal tear?